1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project:_ Modzart

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-Dubs, 11 Jun 2011.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good so far Dubs, keeping an eye on thius one to see how it all develops. I finished my mozart 5 days ago.

2. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Cheers Bulldog, just had a quick cruise though yours, very nice indeed, Can't say mine will be up to the same level as yours but i'll be doing my best.

It's and interresting case to work with though isnt's it? Not as big as you first thing it is, a few proportions that could do with being just a fraction bigger perhaps.

Having spent much of my energy focused on the main body of the case I've now turned my attentions to the front fascia. It's machined out of a very nice thick billet of aluminium, presented in a very nice machined finish.

In the picture below you can clearly see the milling marks left over from manufacture.

[​IMG]

Job for today was very simple, remove the front mesh section. Lots and lots of really fiddly little screws.

I'm getting to the point with this case where I really hope I can remember how it all goes back together.

Seriously, I'm more than a bit worried about all the bits and bobs attached to the front panel. I can't even remember where I put the power reset switch assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regrettable though it was I also had to sand back the front fascia to a smooth yet keyed finish to accept paint.

So off with the Thermaltake and Mozart Decals (very stubborn indeed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Less objectionable were the Intel stickers indicating what used to live in this case.

[​IMG]

Got the day off work tomorrow so will be cracking on with things so if you're about stay tuned and I'll try to get a few updates up.
    Mod On Guys.

3. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

As promised I've been cracking on with things today.

Front fascia is now sanded, washed and etch primed.

The rear IO panel has been sanded and washed ready for etch priming (I've run out of Primer, and also grey normal primer so a quick trip to the auto accessory shop is in order).

front Fascia relaxing on the bench follow a vigorous exfoliation and shower

[​IMG]

What's left of the Thermaltake logo on the base of the case

[​IMG]

Rear IO panel putting chilling on the BBQ

[​IMG]

Main section inside having a coat of normal grey primer/undercoat over the etch

[​IMG]

Front fascia having had a coat of etch applied

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof section with white undercoat

[​IMG]

4. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Thought I was nearing the end of the sanding and etch priming, but then I found a few more bits.

The Mesh won't need to be etch primed but has been lightly keyed to take some standard primer/undercoat. Not sure how well it will take the paint without the holes clogging, certainly going to have to be really light with the coverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HDD bay. Not 100% that this will be going back into the case yet, but will give it the treatment just in case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bulldogjeff

Hell of a lot of bit once you get it all apart...lol

coming along nicely:thumb:

6. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Aren't there just.

I keep having a peek at the various tubs of screws and brackets I have a round the place in the hope that just by looking at them i will somehow remember where they all go.

Not working yet

7. bulldogjeff

I ended up snapping 4 of the mounting brackets for the front panel and had to utilize some the old holes that were luckily redundant after I carved up the panel, which in the end was a blessing is disguise as the panel is now a lot more solidly fixed.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm too late now but anyway when you have something like this with way too many pieces it's best to take detailed photos so you know where the bits go or if possible which it usually isn't mark or scratch engrave numbers onto pieces in spots that won't be seen, bit time consuming but can save a load of head scratching later :D.

9. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Might have another little look through your build to see what you mean

Cheers Waynio, i did take quite a few photos, but even so not sure i'll be able to make sense of them. Like the idea re the little numbers though....next time will do:wallbash:

Getting closer to the sexy stuff, but still more undercoating to be done.

If I rush this the whole paint job will look pants, and pants is not my aim.

The mesh will only get the lightest dusting of paint as i'm wary of the holes clogging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by :)

10. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

As promised some pictures of the first copper coat.

As this is a "project Paint" rather than an auto paint it is much harder to achieve a good finish. It just doesn't flow out of the can as well and has a tendency to spitter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Well I've just put the first top coat on the main case itself.

I'm quite pleased with how it has gone so far, the colour is very close to actual copper sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And not forgetting the Matte Black exterior!!!

[​IMG]

Many more coats to go on each yet (another 3-4 at least)

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Is that with 1 can of the copper spray or more :) gonna look awesome mate :D.
    Black & copper is a drool worthy combination :D.

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Subbed - :)

14. bulldogjeff

Thats copper on the chassis looks really nice mate. I reckon when it all goes back together it's gona look sweeeeeeet!!

15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Whoa, Nelly. That copper finish is AWESOME!

16. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

:clap::jawdrop::clap:This looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!:clap::jawdrop::clap:

17. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I would multi quote but i'll be damned if I can work out how, doesn't appear to be a multi quote button.

And so the painting continues. Really starting to make some progress with it now though.

It's so tempting to rush the prep stage to get to the good part where you lay down the top coats. But rush it and regret it.
    A few pics of the Black going onto the doors. Had to spend 2 hours masking the copper of the doors, but i've spared you all the pictures of that. Fingers crossed the tape comes of clean and doesn't take the copper paint with it. If it does then I guess the etch prime didn't do it's job and the whole lot will go in the Bin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Copper parts have now had their last coats. 4 coats in total. I won't be using a clear top coat as I detest the stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Detest it or not. It's pretty good at protecting your paintjob, so why stop there???

19. bulldogjeff

What ever you do, dont use any thing with this stuff. I tried on the chrome stuff and it just goes dull and cloudy

20. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

This is why.

From a can it's really hard to get a good finish with it, it's really tacky for ages and sees to just be a dust magnet while it dries. In my experience of amatuer spraypainting it's a great way of tuning a reasonable paint job into a whole heap of heart ache.