1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Show us your gear!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 25 Aug 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks, I don't think I'll be getting anything bigger than 4x5 as my idea was to keep the weight sensible - the camera weighs only 200g more than a 5D Mark II and all three lenses combined weigh less than my old TS-E 24mm f3.5 L II! Of course, there's the dark cloth, double dark slides and such that I now need to carry which help to even the load up a bit, but I don't think I'd want to be carrying a 10x8 camera (and the heavier lenses required to get enough coverage for a 10x8 negative).

Having said that, I have been interested in a Fuji GX617 panoramic camera for some time... I'd have been more inclined to go that way if I lived up in the north of England, as the format better lends itself to the terrain up there. I will eventually get a 6x12 back for the LF camera though, which will be close enough (I think I prefer the 6x12 aspect ratio anyway).

When I start getting some images coming through it, I'll be sure to post some and I'll also provide some 100% crops to give an idea of the resolution I can achieve with it. :)

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Poor Blackberry picture:

[​IMG]

Canon 60D
    Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC OS

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

[​IMG]

A new addition.

4. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Not all my gear :D I wish... Mine is just the 7D, 10-22 & Sigma 24-70. This was a rental for the F1 trip

[​IMG]

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This was my camera setup earlier this year - the 50Ds and Sigma 17-70mm have gone, now I have a 5D and more 580EX IIs :D

50D x2, one with BG-E2 grip
    1Ds2
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Canon 17-40L
    Sigma 50mm 1.4
    Sigma 105mm
    Canon 70-200 2.8L IS

[​IMG]

6. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Lenny, how's that Sigma 1.4? I need to get myself a 50 1.4, and I don't know if I should just sink my money into a Nikkor one or get the Sigma. I've read many places that the Sigma is a better lens. Your view?

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Sigma is a very, very good lens, but...

The problem with Sigma is their quality control, particularly auto-focus calibration... I was fortunate to get a lens which focuses perfectly at f/1.4 and rarely misses a shot, but many people have had a really rough time with this lens, receiving either a front-focusing or back-focusing copy, and having to play ping pong with the Sigma repair service.

A good idea would be to buy a preowned copy of the lens which is assured by the seller to be a "good" unit; if not, you run the risk of getting a dud. It's one thing that really disappoints me about Sigma: optically, their lenses are top notch, but their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. :thumb:

8. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Yeah, exactly what I've heard! I NEARLY bought one a few weeks ago, but the whole front-focus/back-focus thing got me worried. I didn't even think of buying a pre-owned one. Thanks for suggesting that :)

9. Vers

Vers ...

FWIW the Sigma 50/1.4 was the most finicky and frustrating lens I've ever used let alone owned, which sucks because it has so much potential. I would absolutely stay away from buying the lens second hand, especially without any possibility of a return policy. This is a lens you'll want to buy from a retailer with a good return policy. Hell, I'd even buy multiple copies off the bat (which I did) and test them out--I tried four copies and none were acceptable.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This reminds me of the Canon forum - about one in five people (at the most) got a good copy of the lens; after what Vers said I definitely consider myself privileged to have a 100% perfect copy.

I had troubles with the lens at my most recent wedding, but it was the body and not the lens - my 1Ds2 nailed pretty much every shot whereas my 50D (which I no longer have) missed nearly every shot, ergo the 50D was sold and I had an excuse to get a second full frame camera. :D

11. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I had a play with one on the weekend and its made me think about jumping ship from Canon. Its a great camera.

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Added a Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S to my collection. Got it off eBay for £230. (might have already mentioned it). Might not be 1:1 but it's not £600 (105 VR) so hey.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  13. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

I've got this one and she's a beaut! I am reasonably sure it is a 1:1 though?

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I have the Sigma 105mm Macro which is a 1:1 so I think you can safely assume that the Nikkor 105mm Macro is also 1:1.

If macro was something I did seriously I'd get the Canon 65mm macro in a heartbeat. 5:1 baby!! :D

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There are two "older" versions of Nikkor's 105mm and the second one, introduced in 1990, does 1:1. Very confusing. :)

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Where did you read that? The only bit I read was "w in reacting with an autofocus lens of same nature, this manual focus lens has actually remained as te sole Macro-offering in Nikon Product Catalogue at this specific focal length of 105mm until the Company eventually introduced an AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8s which finally provides a true 1:1 life size reproduction without any physical aid in accessory 6 years later in year 1990"

18. Vers

Vers ...

The lens Greg bought does only go to 1:2. Lookey here.
    This is the 105 (non-VR) version that does 1:1.
    And I hate to include this but there is this link as well.

19. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Ah, yeah cheer for clearing that up, I thought greg and I had the same lens but obviously not

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <Runs screaming in terrror from THE Ken.>:D