1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice To Build Or Not To Build: The Waiting Game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irvine, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted, but here goes.

I've been window shopping for a new gaming build since my current motherboard started to crap out (memory sockets were eff'd for some reason, switched them and all is well). My growing anticipation for BF3 and Skyrim isn't hurting my want for a new PC either. I've compiled a list of parts for ~$1000USD as follows:
    Mobo - ASUS Maximus Gene-Z
    CPU - i5-2500k
    RAM - G.skill 16GB (4x4)
    GPU - TBD, but probably gtx 570 or 560
    (unnecessary parts left out)

My question is this:
    Should I wait 2-3 months for new parts/LGA2011/GPU refresh/price drops to come out? Is there anything on the horizon I should definitely wait for? My current machine isn't terrible (been playing Witcher 2 on low settings @ 1920x1080), so I can bridle my anticipation for a while, but those BF3 demo videos have been whispering in my ear ever since they came out. "Upgrade...upgrade..."

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd buy, for your kind of budget things aren't really going to change for atleast 6 months...

Drop the 16GB of RAM for 8GB, go for a 570 or 580 and your set :)

3. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply. It feels like forever since Sandy Bridge was released; I guess I was expecting some new architectures or something to be come out soon. A watched pot never boils, eh.

I'm going for the 16GB so I can create a sizeable RAM disk in Windows to hold a game and maybe some cache info so I can speed up load times. Has anyone had experience with that?

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just buy an SSSD

5. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

A $200 drive versus a $50 upgrade? No thanks! Plus, RAM drives kill SSDs in performance.

Edit: Scratch that. I hadn't looked at SSDs in a while, maybe $100 for 60GB ain't too bad. Still, RAM performance versus NAND performance...

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  6. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

My advice is always simply to buy the best you can afford at the time you need it... if you wait for the "next thing", there will be some more stuff to wait for once it's released and you're stuck in a loop.

Concerning your RAMDrive idea; granted, I don't have 16GB but I've tried it and personally have to agree with dropping 16GB for 8GB and just getting an SSD...

Seriously, you can get a SATA3 Sandforce for $100 and its some of the best money you'll ever spend on your machine. Sure, the RAMDrive is great and all, but it's pretty limited being non-bootable, tiny, volatile, and so a bit more of a hassle than its worth (to me anyways).

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well there is, but it'll be out of your budget...

8. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Sage advice. My wallet is gonna be hurtin', but it's a good hurt. ;)

Valid points on the SSD, too. I guess I'll go for that.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: @Bloody_Pete, Sorry, I meant a software-based RAM disk, not a hardware one. Much cheaper, but lacking some things obviously...

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Dont go near a RAM drive. Tried it for a few weeks my self and its more hassle than anything else.

10. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

Isn't there a piece in the next mag about building a computer, this might answer the question or will it be update of the article at the end of last year?

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

ditching the ip-35 pro finally? lol...had that as well...loved it...e8400 to 4.5 goodness

you live in the us? i have some kit you might be interested in...check ur pm's...