1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Q6600 Overclocking Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IbramGaunt, 15 Aug 2011.

1. IbramGaunt

IbramGaunt What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what BIOS version I have. Cant seem to find it. Also cant seem to find any downloads for my bios on their website. Any easy way to ensure I have the latest version? Some sort of windows updater or something?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The BIOS updates are here.

The mainboard tab on CPU-z will show you which BIOS version you have.

3. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

always a mistake for me to read stuff like this!

my Q6600 runs stable (or what i call stable anyway) @ 3.2ghz using 1.3625v on an abit ip35.

just tried to up it to its old 3.6 but it dosent like it @ 1.3625, and i cant be arsed getting on my knees anymore tonight to reset the BIOS!

4. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

na, even with 1.3825 its not playing ball anymore, does anyone know if the IP35 is stable at or over 400fsb?

5. David

Yes, and then some. My old IP35-E maxed out at 470; had to turn up the NB volts two or three notches though.

The IP35 Pro could hit 500.

[edit]IIRC, with a quad core you have to tweak the GTL Ref in the BIOS. Although, that could have been on my old X38 board.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2011
  6. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Always try to have the latest bios. Can turn flaky OCs into stable ones. I **** thee not.

7. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

i'll try them later, i fancy going back up to 3.6, might oc my 4870 for the first time :)

8. IbramGaunt

Apparantly I was running F2 and the latest is F4. I tried downloading the latest version and running it but it says its not compatible with my current OS, think its because I am 64 bit or could I be installing it wrong? Do I have to uninstall anything before hand or is it just a case of donwloading it and running it?

Thanks. I'm slowly making progress!

9. David

Does this help?

10. IbramGaunt

Thanks for all the help! I want to try that but I remember reading that you shouldnt update BIOS if you have no problems with your current one, that updating it is risky.

Is there high risk involved?

11. David

To put it in perspective, I've built and upgraded hundreds of PCs, and I've had two bios updates fail. However, on both occasions, I was able to rectify the problem very easily.

"Don't update if you don't have a problem", but you do, don't you - didn't you say yours doesn't hold any changes made?

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  12. IbramGaunt

Thats true. If I do encounter a problem and the bios doesnt update correctly, what will happen and how can I fix it? (Just in case my PC doesnt boot. I could be left stranded not knowing what to do!)

13. David

I'm not sure if Gigabyte do it, but Asus boards defaulted to boot from CD if the BIOS corrupted. The Motherboard CD had a boot sector that re-installed the original "factory fresh" BIOS, allowing you to recover and reflash at your convenience.

Perhaps someone here can confirm if Gigabyte do it to.

Do you have the original motherboard CD?

14. IbramGaunt

I think I might have the CD somewhere. I will have to check at the weekend. Is it worth the risk/hassle of doing all this to get my CPU from 2.9 to 3.0Ghz? Would I see a marked improvement?

15. David

Not a big one, but it's worthwhile persevering and learning to stabilise an overclock. Who knows when you'll want to push it further?

I know very few overclockers who will clock a CPU so far from its potential and leave it at that. They might do initially, but they soon go back and push it further. Once you've got the bug, it's difficult to stop.

16. IbramGaunt

I know I haven't replied to this in a while but I recently installed Windows 7 and I am determined to get this working.

I've managed to change my vcore. I changed it to 1.35V to start off with (none of the BIOS settings changed this time for some reason). However, running prime95 torture test, it crashes immediately. It only seems to work when the voltage is "auto". This results in CPU-Z showing me an idle core voltage of 1.376V. Here are screenshots of my current BIOS settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Thanks.

17. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

JUst a little off-topic from whats being discussed but just curious as I have Q6600 G0 processor in the house and I'm looking to overclock it soon on air. Has the artic freezer on a Asus p5k. Now, whats the max clock I can get to on the Q6600? Its just I'm sure I remember overclocks of 4GHz on air being discussed about before...to me the 3GHz overclock sounds conservative..so the question is....does anyone know what is the max possible overclock on a good air-cooled system on a good board for overclocking like the Asus?

Thanks

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Around 3.6GHz was the average back in the day I think. Probably 3.2-3.4Ghz on a AC Freezer. Mine went to 3.6GHz with a Sythe Mugen 2 and P5K wifi-AP.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2011
  19. David

It's been a long time since I overclocked a Q6600, but the CPU VID looks really high (VID = Normal CPU Vcore). That may explain why you're having so much trouble getting it stable.

The VID range was something like 0.85v to 1.35v, but many quads were well below 1.3v.

If your chip needs 1.325v for stable operation at stock speed, it likely will require 1.4v or more for a decent overclock. 1.45 to 1.5v is the generally accepted max vcore for a Q6600, but much depends on how effective your cooler is.

With a good cooler, you can push the vcore a bit more, but keep an eye on your load temps.

20. IbramGaunt

Thanks for the reply. I have an arctic cooler freezer cooler. I've heard its a decent cooler.

What are the risks in increasing my voltage? Will I just BSOD or could it do permanent damage to my CPU?

Thanks again.