1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor or TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinfandel, 26 Aug 2011.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I need something around the 27" mark for my lounge. I don't actually watch TV and if I did I'd do it through a TV card.

With that in mind I was wondering about getting something like This.

It's "cheap" for a 27" monitor and thus I expect lots of goodbytes rage, but surely it will offer better picture quality than a 26" TV for the same price? Like This?

Any thoughts on the matter?

2. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

i have a samsung 23" wide screen tv monitor, it has built in free view, HD, components, and DVI inputs. I use it as my monitor and sometimes watch tv on it. Screen is full HD 1920x1080p.

never seen an issue with it. am sure a 27" would be similar but just on a larger scale

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The illyama 27" tn panel isn't meant to be that bad for a tn panel. Obviously an ips panel is better but will probably be a bit out of budget.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

It really depends whether you're happy with the pixel pitch, 1080 at 27" will have a fairly high pixel pitch and won't be as defined, but will still look pretty good. OFC the Dell 27" will look even better

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I second the 27" IIyama if you are on a budget. Default colors are very good, only viewing angles can be an issue, but it's due to the TN technology.

TV screen as monitor .... I'm not sure about fix images that could damage the screen.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The best picture quality for movies etc comes from PVA panels because they have MUCH better blacks than either TN or IPS and can also have better colours. Have a look into which TVs use PVA panels and you might find one within your budget - eg., Samsung T27A550 is £355.

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah I looked at the Iiyama too. It has 400cd/m2 as opposed to the Asus' 300 (whatever the hell that means) but the Asus one looks more like it would fit in a lounge if that makes sense.

8. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-013-HO

i saw this the other day, as for if you should get a monitor or a TV my two cents would be that TV's perform pretty well as monitors too in my experience as long as you input through the HDMI.

I've been running a dual screen set up with a 32inch Sony EX403 (TV) and a Samsung 20 inch monitor and the TV performs really well. Theres no ghosting the colour is amazing and the pixel pitch is fine.

in fact since hooking up to the TV I've pretty much stopped using the monitor. So I'd say look out for a good on at Amazon or something as I picked my TV for 299 at Christmas which is pretty good as they are now selling for 400 upwards still.

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

To me that's the main issue other than budget, depends on how far you'll be and your expectations I guess. Personally I'd never use a TV as a monitor replacement for regular desktop, but I have a Samsung 40in 1080p HDTV for media PC and at 6-8ft viewing distance Windows looks as crisp as on my 23in 1080p in front of my face.