1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Best Bit of Hardware you brought and Worst

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharpethunder, 28 Aug 2011.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Best: My first SSD - 128GB Crucial M225. Two years on, and I still rate it.

Worst: Going back a long way - ATI Rage Fury Maxx (dual GPU VGA card). It was frikkin awful. Twelve years on and I still HATE it.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Worst: probably Duron 1600 and/or the rest of that system. It really was rubbish from day 1... But well, everyone has to start somewhere.

Best: LG L245WP-BN or something. Paid an arm and leg for the 24" screen years ago, but it's still superb and easily worth the money.

3. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Best: DiNovo Edge KB and MX Air mouse. Still going strong 3+ years on with heavy use. KB charge still lasts about 6 weeks. Still nothing on the market that comes close in style and functionality.

Best: Fractal Design R3 case. Easy to install system, easy cable tidying, quiet and, to me anyway, stylishly simple looks. Though I'm thinking about replacing the powder-coat on sides and top with nice shiny black paint to match the finish on the front.

Best: Voodoo 3500TV AGP. TV on my PC!!! Loved it from the first moment. Remember this was a long time ago and PC TV tuners were very rare. Haven't bought a TV/STB/DVR/DVD Drive/... since. The ultimate convergence, one "box of electronics" that does everything to do with media.

Worst: Canon scanner Canoscan n640Pex. Never did work properly under WinXP. At $100 it wasn't worth pursuing warranty service.

Other than that I've been lucky.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Best would have to be the 3dfx voodoo 3 2000 I bought for 80 quid from pc world.

Ripped out the naff tnt2 in my prebuilt pc and played unreal tournament for hours and hours.

That card and feeling prob started my pc building off and cost me thousands over the years.

Close 2nd was a 1700+ tbred jhub, overclocked like a champ and cost about £20 new from ebuyer.

Worst is prob a msi nforce 3 neo plat for the 754 socket, utter utter rubbish and I had three of them! All shocking!
    Close 2nd again a socket A chip, a 1800+ pally that wouldnt overclock AT ALL.

5. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Best: My Q6600 has been going strong for almost 4 years and never skipped a beat.

Worst: Hiper PSU, the first one made a loud bang after a few months and took out all the lights in the house with it. The replacement literally went bang after 5 seconds of installing, and wait for it.. the next replacement made a tick-tick-boom sound after 5 seconds again! I gave up on Hiper at that point.

6. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Best: Mitsubishi Diamond Plus (CRT), bought in 2003, still going and looking beautiful, though the screen coating is scratched all to hell. It's making death noises at the moment, but I will get it fixed if it falls over, mark my words.

Best: Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard. Bought same time as the above for the same build, a bit yellow now, but types as nicely and precisely as ever. Does everything I need, no more, no less, and functions perfectly with the standard Windows Update driver (except the useless alternative F key functions).

Worst: Dell Inspiron 1521. Lasted 18 months before dying of an unfixable fault outside of warrantee and ran super duper hot especially when playing videos. On the upside it was one of the last machines to get the ace 15" 1440x900 screens before they suddenly disappeared entirely from every OEM's stock.

Worst: Geforce 2, bought in an emergency when my trusty Geforce FX 5600 died a powercut-related death. £10. It did its job but I was not happy with it.

7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Best:
    Q6600 - the first chip I had when I returned back to the Intel fold from AMD. Felt amazingly quick after overclocking it to 3.4GHz
    HP 2475w monitor - lovely....

Worst:
    Voodoo Banshee - I thought this was a worthwhile upgrade from my ATI Rage/Voodoo2 combo - overheating fail!
    Time Computer with Cyrix 333 CPU - unbelievably crap, kept overheating and went back for repair 6 times before they gave me a AMD K6-2 366 instead

8. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I remember Cyrix. Just about.

9. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

Best thing I have bought for my build has got to be the i5 2500k running 4.9Ghz, 55deg playing the new deus ex :p

And the worst I would have to say the EVGA nForce 780i SLi motherboard, I had 3 of those through RMA, althought I managed to sell the working board for £140, two years after buying it for £150! So it can't be that bad :p

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Best:
    21" Dell Widescreen monitor for when I moved to Uni (I got the Xbox360 Monitor Cable as well)

Logitech Z-2300 speakers, these can shake a house down!

Worst:
    Various printers
    No name wireless keyboard and mouse. PoS had massive lag and would intermittently just not respond.

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Worst: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2. Absolute bag of useless crap. Took a ton of vcore to get my i5 to 3.8GHz. Then it failed after I LOWERED the vcore :wallbash:

Best: LG IPS231P monitor. Absolutely awesome after coming from a 7 year old TN panel with a 12ms input lag :D

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Best:

Epox 8RDA3+ with a 2500 XP-M and BH-5

Q6600 with gigabyte P35, and DFI P45 boards

HP Compaq NC6400 laptop (built like a tank, and i was able to install a HSDPA 3G modem as it had a sim card slot)

XFX 6800GT

Worst:

EDIMAX PCI Wireless adapter and same goes for most belkin adapters

Logitech wired Wave keyboard, its just crap nuff said. Microsoft wins on mid-range to cheap keyboards. Comfort curve here and still loving it.

13. PorridgeMonster

PorridgeMonster What's a Dremel?

Best: Tie between my old Q6600 and 4870. Both worked flawlessly for years and can still play most games on good settings

Worst Probably my 8800GT. I know it preformed well for the price range but mine died after a year from memory failure and i didnt even overclock it.

Not the worst but annoying feature is probably my Thermaltake frio i just installed for my new rig. I cant change the fan settings without going into the case and turning those knobs which are tiny as hell! Grrrr. And the stupid rubber screw things to attach the fans are so lame.

14. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Agreeing with others.

Best: Q6600 G0- still going strong with a nice overclock :)
    Worst: OCZ reaper memory - has a habit of going pop even at stock. At least OCZ's RMA service is up to scratch!

15. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

Best - my fractal R3 - just looks so good

Worst - in terms of value a Gainward 9800gtx. Still a good card but paid top dolalr to upgrade from a 7950gt just before GeForce 200 series started going head to head with the Radeon HD 4000-series. Had I waited a month longer it could have been so different!

16. Barry_White

Barry_White What's a Dremel?

Best: Gainward GTX460GLH

Worst: A HP pre built machine, with the amount and range of parts i have had to replace i should have just built one :wallbash:

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

best; 8800GTX
    worst; 7950GX2

Not because it was a bad card, but because i bought it just before the 8800gtx was released. Luckily I just used evga step-up and got the 8800gtx for something like £130.

18. Crossing

Crossing What's a Dremel?

The best? So far it's a AMD Athlon ii 255 (3.1 GHz). Only $60 and handled everything I do really well.

And the worst? A cheap $20 gigabyte case... the front audio jacks didn't work, the case was cramped and the PSU didn't fit properly. still regret that one, but I have a nice new NZXT M59 now :D