1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Iain Duncan Smith: Make computers easier to use

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Computer are the most technically advanced thing that any of us use in everyday life.

Sorry if they aren't easy!

2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I personally think its down to the fact that people who havent used computers much or at all are actually quite scared of them. My dad really doesn't know how to use them at all, I've tried to sit him down with my laptop or my macbook but he really doesnt like it at all.

My mum on the other hand is actually quite good, has picked up quite a lot, still doesnt really understand how keyboard shortcuts work and cant understand copy and paste yet lol.

Wouldnt even think of trying to teach my grandparents.

As other posters have said, the main reason is that a PC is simply too expensive for the majority of OAP especially if they just live off the state pension.

3. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

the problem alot of OAP's have in general is they simply do not want to learn how to use a computer, not all, not at all but a great number either listen then forget or refuse to take on board what you are telling them to do.

I have tried and tried and tried and will continue trying but certain members of the over 60s club are hard work when it comes to new technology, not just computers either for that matter.

4. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Iain Duncan wants to complain that computers aren't easy to use now? Perhaps he should have tried using one back in the good old DOS days and see how he gets on with just a command line.

Microsoft especially and even Apple in more recent years have made things considerably easier for everyone, old, young, blind and those with other accessibility difficulties. There are more blind people than old people that manage to use computers on a daily basis.

The main problem here I think is most don't really see a need for one or what it could really be used for in their lives. Staying warm and fed are their main priorities and a TV usually provides their entertainment and keeps them informed of what is going on in the world so they can discuss it when they collect their pension and moan about it when out on the bus.

A computer is just a tool, a very powerful and versatile one, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily suited to everyone. For those who might have trouble with the double click there is always right click and then choose your option or a simple settings change to make opening folders and programs with a single click.

The other problem with older people who have not grown up with technology is that to them its something to be feared, something they have great difficulty understanding and therefore tend to lack an overall willingness to learn resulting in those that will, that can, that can't and that won't.

Some people are the same with phones, most of the time they simply want to pick up the receiver, dial a number and talk to the person on the other end. What makes it all seem complicated is that even the humble phone can now do more than just make calls.

5. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Maybe while they are at it we should make new music more accessible to the OAP as its obviously too loud. Oh wait. Nm. Found it.

6. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

+1 rep for originally, and +1 again for being funny!

:clap:

7. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Like most devices?

8. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Vague comment is vague.

Would you jump into a car for the first time and complain it's not easy to drive? No, you learn. Lets face it, if the old git can't work Windows 7 after a cup of tea and a few hours then there is no hope.

You've missed this particular boat, Iain. Just accept you're a minority.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

my mother-in-law, is 82, and just refuses to go online, or have a computer, she said she has to many doofers already, and she is too old to learn, but, she has learnt how to use her new digital tv, and the digibox recorder
    and even the dvd player she now has, so saying she is too old to learn is wrong. she is unwilling to learn is a more accurate statement

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Thank you for illustrating my earlier point tad : )

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

It is 100% attitude based,

I work in IT helpdesk in a school and even some 'intelligent' teaching staff can’t perform even simple functions like navigate to a mapped drive in My Computer or select an alternate tray on a printer.
    It’s the attitude of 'I’m not paid to deal with this, hold my hand I’m useless with computers'
    This is university level educated people who simply do not wish to pick up the skill.

My Nan (75years old) has our old Tiny PC and despite being less than a wizz can facebook, email and order her Tesco shopping online.

An elderly couple over the road from me (they are in their 80's and I do work for them) are prolific users of Photoshop and she designs greetings cards on her machine.

Yes it is harder to pick up a skill when you are older, but it is completely possible if you are willing to learn.

12. Killbz

Killbz I havent got a dremel

While I agree with what most people have written so far, in 20 years it wont matter anyway. Those old people today will be dead and gone and everyone else SHOULD know how to use computers or at least be able to learn very quickly. This is a problem that will sort itself out in a little time. And yes I did give up in frustration trying to explain to my father that you cant just rip a dvd by copying all the files on it to the hard drive and then play it. His response was "Its there why cant I just play it?"

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Nothing to do with computers being difficult, its to do with people being left to believe they are difficult and that doing anything will result in the computer breaking. How many of us have tried introducing an older person to computers only to hear them say "oooo no i'll break it". The people most likely to properly break a PC are people like us bit-techers, experienced users who are forever tinkering with the bios and components.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I helped a 90 year old man with his computer last week. He knew a fair bit already, but he had gaps in his learning. I was happy to help him out, I think it is great to see someone that age getting to grips with a computer.

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Think of the possibilities...

Apple gets 6.4mil OAPs online.
    Sends them to 4chan.
    [​IMG]

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Your welcome Woodspoon ;)

Though there is of course a flipside to all this. What about the poor younger generation, those who have grown up with technology and who feel cut off when the internet or their mobile network is down. Who supports this younger generation and teaches them about books and how to use the library or how to use the telephone directory, lol

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If they are not learning anything they will not understand what they are doing and will be more vulnerable to threats on the internet.

I think the biggest obstetrical to computers is the fear factor due to lack of education that continues to this day. Young people are not taught useful information about computers and this lack of knowledge translates to older people worrying that if they kids can not figure this newfangled thing out it is just too dangerous to try.

If you can build a lego set you can build a computer. Schools need to have kids actually build a cheep computer in grade school level classes so they can learn that computers are not some crazy complicated thing to stay away from but something fun and exciting to learn about.

If I had not built my first computer when I was 12 I have no idea where I would be today but I can say that I would likely be a lot worse off. Being introduced at a young age opened new opportunities for me that changed my life forever. In addition it also changed the life of many other people b/c I was able to use my skills to enrich my high school though the creation of new classes such as video journalism that now are a major program at the school with some kids deciding to take a future in the industry.

Computers are everywhere around us and so they more that people are able to understand about them the more opportunities will open not only for them but for everyone.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I recently got an IPad 2 and pretty much anyone (grandparents included) know how to use it straight away. I think it's the touch interface that works well for less technically minded people as they just worry about what's on the screen and not having to use a keyboard and mouse aswell.

Having said that my mum learnt how to use a pc because she broke her leg and couldn't go to the shops so she had to learn how to shop online. If people need to use something then they have to learn how to use it.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

For those of us who have had to do technical / user support for the Elderly, having more of them use computers is far from a good thing.

20. KingSheepy

KingSheepy ?lemerD a s'tahW

If they made computers easier to use and harder to break then I'd be out of a job.

Tags: Add Tags