1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress "The Claw" scratch case build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sk8rSeth, 6 Aug 2011.

1. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

Update: 14-4-2012
    finally the case is moving along with some noticeable progress! check it out here. im not going to update this post or anything too much but i AM going to get back to work! you guys are amazing!

please read my 'dilemma section and help me out if you can! thanks!

Parts List
    AMD FX 8150/8170 [[the whole reason for this build]]
    Asus Crosshair V Formula AM3+
    Two, Nvidia GTX 680
    16GB (4x 4GB) Mushkin Redline SDRAM DDR3 2133 mHz
    ENERMAX Platimax 1200W power supply
    2x 2tb WD Caviar Black HDDs
    Optiarc BC 5600s Slot Load Blu-Ray drive
    Corsair H100 closed loop CPU cooler
    a total of 12 Green CCFL tubes of various length

thats the basics of the parts so far. Air for the GPU(s)

Current Dilemma(s)
    How to attach the Chase Zone to the Component Zone, right now the working idea is to weld bolts to the Chase zone Backplate, then drill holes in the Component zone backplate, and run long screw through to tighten it all up. problems= how to keep them aligned during reattachment? how will this method cause the Chase Zone to "Seat" into/onto/with the Component Zone?

also what size grommet could i use to fit a 1" diameter hole for cable management?

Index
    Design
    First Cuts

Plans/Pics
    FRONT
    [​IMG]

BACK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now what I havent sketched up yet is a model of the case, so its hard to tell, but the 'Claw' will be raised and backlit just like this sign;
    [​IMG]

Google Sketchup Models
    i left all the details in for reference purposes A.K.A. BIG FILE WARNING
    The Claw

hopefully i can get some input from you guys!

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  2. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Looks intresting, I like the design, but atleast one 590? Overkill? :p

However I will subscribe to this :)

3. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Interesting.

One thing to note (possibly I am interpreting your drawing too literally) but you show your GPU with the lead to the monitor coming out on the right... This will also be where the GPU is trying to exhaust hot air, but the fans will be trying to blow the air straight back into it. This could possibly be solved by switching the fans around and having the air exhaust from the front.

As to your problem with Tube I'd say use Angle instead.

4. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

pacman- i say at least one, for futureproofing. im sure ill end up putting another one in there over time.

and thank you very much Xye! i hadnt even thought about the fan situation.

this is a rough sketchup for reference purposes, i have the plans detailed under my own drafting skills. please dont point out the things like the floating USB ports and no weld lines and things like that. just enjoy the design and help me improve it please.

current model pictures;

Front/Claw
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

Chase Zone; for wire management and hiding various other things.
    [​IMG]

power reset button handle behind the claw
    [​IMG]

PSU mounting bracket with and then w/out the PSU for reference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

external USB ports; theres only four, located where the white rectangles are
    [​IMG]

Slot load Blu-Ray located inside the Chase Zone
    [​IMG]

my USB peripheral solution. a locking door that opens to the Chase Zone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i do indeed have a hinge worked out and planned for how the door will hinge. its deceptively simple. im working on the sketchup of it right now. will post when finished

and believe me [im an architecture major] i KNOW and understand how impractical and pointless a lot of this stuff is, but once you move past that, i wanna know what you think?

be kind...

apparently i didnt include the HDDs in this set of images by accident, but thats ok as im redesigning the mounting bracket for those anyways. that and the GPU brace are both in the works.

5. barfastic

barfastic What's a Dremel?

nice idea.... SUBBED!

6. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Interesting concept... but any modding done yet? [forum rules state that work should be started to have a worklog...]

7. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

subbed
    im love the concept
    cant wait to see the follow through

8. robi09

robi09 What's a Dremel?

Crazy time... crazy modding! Go on mate!

9. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

Fab Started!

alright guys, thank you all so much for the support, i need it as this is my FIRST case mod.

anyways, heres an update, the updates will be very few and far between these days, cuz im unemployed and in college. :wallbash: but updates will happen here regularly.....ish
    =D

Aluminum and Mock up
    [​IMG]

Claw Backplate/ Chase Zone Back
    [​IMG]

First Cut-Claw Backplate/ Chase Zone back
    [​IMG]

Second backplate= Component Zone
    [​IMG]

this is finally real. i cant get enough. i will be cutting the side panels, and hopefully the 'Claw' design tomorrow. then im going to be drilling and tapping the ATX hole layout, drilling the Bulgin switch holes, cutting the wire management holes and purchasing the Perforated aluminum in the next few days. :dremel: then off to welding sometime after that. i will certainly keep all you guys updated as often as i can.
    but first some input;
    do you guys want to see a ton of updates, or just major overview ones? i think i prefer a ton of updates but im in love with this thing so i dont think you guys want to see as much of it as i do =P

also, please check out my 'current dilemma' section in the OP and PLEASE help me out.
    thank you all so very very much

10. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

quick update/bump

FINALLY got a job, after 5 months =/
    so in the coming weeks this mod will be back on track. sorry ive been behind.
    im poor.
    anyways just stopping by to say that the fire is back in the oven......[[kinda ashamed i said that]]

dont forget about me guys!

11. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I like the design. Hope to see more soon.

12. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

back in the game

alright after finally getting some spare income and time, im getting back into it.
    (6-months without work looks great for sponsors and contests eh? :rolleyes:)

anyways! i ordered some Durafix and spare aluminum today so when that gets in the actual construction will be underway. for now heres a quick little teaser

got the risers located and tapped
    [​IMG]

preview of the 'claw' all cut out
    [​IMG]

13. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

nVidia tribute PC? I am folowing this one. ;)

14. z3bb0

z3bb0 What's a Dremel?

what tap size did you use for the stand offs?

15. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

i used a 6-32NC tap for the standoffs

16. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

this is a very unfortunate update guys =[
    as i had mentioned i was going to try something new, try the Durafix medium to essentially weld together my sheets of aluminum in hopes to get a very clean look.
    sadly, it just didnt work. the durafix certainly made a very very strong bond and in rare cases made a very beautiful line and finish. it just wasnt consistent enough to work with.
    top that with the fact that the heating and cooling of the aluminum caused it to warp, which in turn ripped the already finished weldings apart. the sheets are simply too thin to make this method work right. and believe me, i tried like hell to get it to work =[

decent
    [​IMG]

worse
    [​IMG]

deal breaker
    thanks to the warping.
    [​IMG]

as you can see, not great. and im by no means an experienced welder hahaha

at any rate, i now have a dilemma;

should i do a block that i screw into like:
    [​IMG]

or should i create a bracket to pop rivet to the case that will also serve as the connection screw point?

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Little strong support mounting blocks are great mate, nice & simple & easy to make but do the job excellent & if painting you could even use countersunk screws & body fill over them to get the clean look you want. :rock:

Countersinking thin aluminium is tricky though & can easily go too far & make the hole too big, so tiny bit by bit until it's perfect & also countersink the mounting block so it can go properly flush.

Concept is nice, will follow this. :)

18. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

I try with durafix, and dual component special paste and at least for me, bad results...

19. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth Browncoat

update 14-4-2012

its update time guys! :jawdrop:

finally getting some measurable progress! the shell is slowly coming together, and im piecing the whole thing together while also problem solving which is taking forever cuz this is my first actual build ever.

they said it was too ambitious for a first timer......well.....SUCK IT NAY-SAYERS!

juicy goodness:

i did decide to go with a bracket style like Proxima and it has worked out almost perfectly. my blocks and screws are a little misaligned but i think im gunna live with it because i dont have a lot of extra money or time.

[​IMG]

close up of the brackets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got a new toy to help out. and boy...i dont know how i lived without it!

[​IMG]

heres the 'accessory door' which i have to re-roll the hinges on a new piece because my dumbass rolled them the opposite direction, but this is a good proof of concept and method. i think it looks good.

[​IMG]

and im making my own fan grill for my 3x 120mm fans and i PROMISE you it will be unlike anything you have ever seen. it looks normal now, but wait for the next update, you will not be disappointed. :rock:

[​IMG]

in order; Nvidia claw, Asus ROG, and my own logo representing "Soli Deo Gloria' which is kind of my life motto and my logo for a number of designs.

thoughts? im slowly getting more parts and work done but i am a college student working part time so....its slow goes. anybody wanna donate? :D

20. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Don't ever get discouraged! Scratch builds are suppose to be tough. They take blood, sweat, and tears but at the end it is an accomplishment. Keep your mind focused and keep modding! Good work so far!

Go to a welding shop in your area and see if they can weld some of the pieces for you. It shouldn't cost more than $100. Your bracketing looks good though.