1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Which fans and where

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrismarkham1982, 27 Sep 2011.

1. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Ok, this is a question about fans, currently using a Define R3 and wondered out of the fans that I have where should I put them (Now now children, be nice :lol:) and which ones should I use.

1 x 140mm Corsair
    1 x 140mm Antec Tri-cool
    1 x 120mm Antec Tri-cool
    2 x 120mm Akasa Ambers
    2 x 120mm Enermax Magma's
    2 x 120mm Fractal Design fans (One's that come with the Define R3)

Would like it to be as quiet as possible but, also need to keep good temps as-well.

Any help appreciated and whatever i dont use, will be going on the market place to get some funds towards getting a Gelid Tranquillo.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

As a general rule, fewer fans = less noise, even if the fans claim to be silent. I was all for jamming my case full of 120mm fans until I realised that they are largely unnecessary... I have only two case fans atm (TY-140, both top exhaust) and my temps are absolutely fine, and the volume of warm air thrown out by these two fans is incredible.

IMO exhaust is much more important than intake, so work on that premise. :thumb:

chrismarkham1982 likes this.
  3. chrismarkham1982

That's what I was thinking, my original plan was to put the Fractals at the front and the 2 Magmas at the rear but, I also want one at the bottom to push some cool air onto the gpu.
    Should I just stick with the original plan or leave the front ones out and use the Tri-cool at the bottom?

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

The stock 2 fan configuration is good and quiet. I added a third 140mm fan to the roof, the second I popped the blanking plate off (which is insulated) it is audibly noisier, still not on an annoying level, but the difference is obvious. As LennyRhys says, I now have 2 exhaust, 1 intake and have left it at that.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The Noiseblocker PK2s are OK but the 20dBA claimed noise speed is way too low. Compared to other fans I'd say they're at least 30dBA. However they have a smooth sound and are good at low speeds. The also have a couple of fan extension cables, rubber gaskets and neat fitting screws. Support is second to none.

There's also a slower version, the PK1

Edit: As they're sleeve bearing fans you can't use them in a horizontal position without motor noise at all speeds.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Another alternative if you want to low noise (ie, not taking any if the insulation off) is to sell some of the fans and buy and install an AP at the front on the bottom, to feed air to the graphics card.

Along with that, stick to the standard Fractal for the other front slot (nice and quiet) and use a decent fan for an exhaust as like LennyRhys said, it is probably one of the most important things.

I don't see the point in buying an R3 and then taking off the insulation and opening panels. Mine just has the stock 2 front with a single exhaust and cooling is more than reasonable.

7. chrismarkham1982

I think im going to fiddle about with different combo's and see what noise levels/temps i get.

8. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

i hate the person above me.. oh wait wrong thread! well good luck then! :D

9. chrismarkham1982

I just stuck the 140mm tri-cool at the bottom and the 120mm tri-cool at the rear and so far temps and noise have been fine, the other fans are now up for sale.

10. adamix

adamix What's a Dremel?

I have the Define R2 (almost identical) and use a combination of 120mm and 140mm fans (mostly Fractal Design's, the 140mm are very quiet). Personally I prefer to have more fans spinning at lower speeds, rather than less fans spinning faster. I use the two FD 120mm for the front intake and an Arctic Cooling 120mm for rear exhaust. I also use two 140mm as exhaust fans at the top (these are almost inaudible, I have them spin very slowly). Lastly, I have another 140mm at the side panel to send cold air to the GPU. I don't use a fan at the bottom (dust issues: some dust does make it past the filter, also dust filter clogging up quickly and needs frequent cleaning to maintain intake fan's efficiency). As a result, the PC is very quiet and cool.