1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding at home not using all cores?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Chebob, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Hi, im folding on a quad core phenom, and my cpu usage stands at around 30%, im guessing that all four cores arnt being utilized, but I dont know how to configure F@H to use all four cores. Whats interesting is that on the download page I remember it saying that it reccomended a quad core, why would this matter if it uses each core individually? Or have I got it totally wrong? (I think im folding smp but theres nowhere that says smp so I dont know really lol) Thanks in advance as always :)

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Which client and OS? A copy of the log file would be helpful.

Probably you neglected to use the -smp flag when you configured the client. Did you follow the instructions properly?

3. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

I honestly have no idea, im using xp 64 bit, I know that. I just clicked on it and ran it :) I could have downloaded the wrong client by mistake actually :) Smp looks confusing :/

4. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Right, sorry for double post. I was using the basic cpu client, ive installed smp, but now it says its downloaded a wu but its not working on it :/

EDIT: Its still only using 30% but its started now :/

Last edited: 20 Sep 2011
  5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

When configuring the SMP client did you add the -smp tag under additional parameters at the end?

6. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

I think thats where ive been going wrong. It might be worth making a 'folding basics' sticky, as even understanding your answers requires a basic level of knowledge, which I clearly dont have, and if I ask a million questions I sound like an idiot :D

Right, this is what I think ive got so far, correct me if im wrong :)

Theres an smp client and a cpu client, the smp client has quicker deadlines with more points, do they recieve the same WUs?

Ive installed the smp client, but because I didnt write -smp at the end after i typed in my user and team name, the client is acting the same as the normal cpu client which is meant only for single and dual core machines, is that right?

7. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

There are plenty of guides detailing the setting up of SMP clients.

Try reading the official guide here : - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuide

There is also a FAQ linked from the high performance client page.

If after reading these you still cannot get to grips with it, post your specific problem and your log file so we can see what is happening.

If you don't include -smp either in your configuration or on the command line only one core of the processor will be used regardless of how many it has.

Different WUs

Good luck.

8. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Hey Chebob, if you get too stuck you can always use the GPU tracker v2. Its very simple to use and once you get you head around all the settings (just tick boxes in this) you can always switch back to the console client with a better understanding, or just stay with the tracker.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

There's always the beta V7 client, download here. A proper GUI and is surprisingly easy to use. Download, install. It'll ask if you want to do SMP, GPU or both. If you want just CPU based folding go for SMP. It'll ask for your username, team (35947 :thumb:) and passkey (get one here if you don't have one :)) Then once installed, you're done :D

I use this and it's really quite easy.

Chebob likes this.
  10. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Thanks, the last two clients are so easy to use, there perfect for people like me :) folding away nicely at 100% :thumb: