1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steve Jobs dies aged 56

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2011.

1. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

Do you know something we don't? AFAIK flash is missing only on iOS and it's missing due to it's poor performance. Adobe was approached by Apple in 2007 regarding mobile version of Flash, it's 2011 and Flash on mobiles is still everything but perfect.

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

So, Apple (and Jobs, as they are heavily intertwined) bashing is OK, as long as he (Jobs, as Apple is quite healty now) is only deadly ill, not dead.

I kinda wanted to point that out.

Also, I'd like to add that I too, thought he was a great innovator, the guy that made computers cool. Not the kind I own or want, but cool anyway.

3. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

that being said it doesn't seem like a 'policy' but rather common sense

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As do I.

Not that the ban for pirate was undeserved - the trolling is utterly unacceptable. The joke, however, was very reasonable and as tasteful as possible.

Get a grip people, if you can't cope with a light bit of humour like that then what in goodness are you doing in the real world?

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

For some reason, this made me really sad.

[​IMG]

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

This was my feeling on the matter - the joke wasn't what brought the banhammer down, it was what followed afterwards. The joke actually made me smile a little, but it was the stoking of the fire and continuation of that afterwards which made me feel that was the action required.

With that said, there is no place for the insults that flowed in mighty_pirate's and unfortunately mighty_pirate has been singled out for reacting - rather than reporting - to those insults, but he was not alone.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

this picture was taken not soon after Jobs' retirement. this level of dedication commands respect.

that is why i find any joke in this thread is inappropriate. at least way too soon, not in official News thread, in the linked General discussion thread makes more sense.

[​IMG]

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Missin' ya already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPhLqwKo6g

Edit: Wuyanxy, any change you'd be willing to remove the picture? It available elsewhere for all to see (Hey include a link if you think it's important), but the guys just died. Having some low life sleaze-ball paparazzi shot of him towards the end is pretty low. Plus the photos been doctored as his right arm is a paste job and there's all sorts of edit artefacts. Doctored or not, he wouldn't have wanted this photo put out.

He had the big C. It f**ks you right up. He chose to put on a brave face and not show how ill he really was to the world. I can respect that. Shame the f**kwit that took the pic didn't, same goes for the double f**kwit who photoshopped it.

I hope I have as half as much dignity at SJ when it's my turn to go.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  9. Tim S

Tim S OG

That picture brings back haunting memories for me when I lost my wife to stage IV bowel cancer in July 2008 after an 18 month fight. Cancer is a b*****d of a disease and it literally sucks the life out of the sufferer.

10. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I think it's never good to hear a person died, even if I don't have any real feelings on that one in particular.

Knowing that he only stepped down recently I was amazed to hear he had been battling the cancer since 2004. That shows some pretty serious dedication right there.

I must admit I'm in the camp that smiled a bit when I read the joke though the fighting thereafter made me frown far more.

11. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Every Apple store should quickly have the huge greyscale image of him put on the wall.

12. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

R.I.P. Steve Jobs, enough said.

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

How the hell does a Steve Jobs topic get links to a girl killing herself in Berkshire?

FFS Bit-tech get your sh!t together!

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

14. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

Ive had the pleasure of using many an ipod iphone 3gs and a mac mini over the years and the fact that they "just work" simple point and go. Jobs made microsoft sit up and listen to how things should be in the computer industry. and its still something micrsoft lack i feel.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Shame.

As for those who are complaining about jokes, why the hell not?

Me and my brother were making jokes about the undertakers carrying my dad down the bend in the stairs the night he died, and we loved him dearly.

Light hearted humour is a natural defense mechanism where death and mortality are concerned.

Good on you Jobs, I never owned a Mac, an iphone or an ipad but I appreciated your ingenuity.

KidMod-Southpaw, David and Snips like this.
  16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

+1

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

+another

18. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

You're "disgusted"? Really? Jobs would have had a wry little smile at that one. Anyone else getting 'upset by proxy' needs to get a grip. You didn't even know him.

I don't see how making a light-hearted joke and respecting the guy are mutually exclusive.

19. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Anyway, to move on.....

I don't own any Apple products, I find them overpriced and I don't like the way you have to "buy-in" to the whole Apple culture in order to get the most out of their products BUT there is no doubt that in terms of bringing to market products that consumers want, both style- and technology-wise, Apple and Jobs have been true innovators.

Without Apple & Jobs, no doubt these products would have found their way to market eventually, under a different guise, but they certainly changed to public's perception toward consumer electronics.

20. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Poignant that Microsoft.com and Google.com, the homepages of two of Apple's greatest competitors, both mark Jobs' passing - quite a feat, particularly to make move Google to make an exception to their golden rule of a minimalist homepage, and testament to just how much influence this man had on the entire tech industry.

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
Tags: Add Tags