1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Stalker 2 has always online drm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by spectre456, 8 Oct 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

All this stalker talk made me reinstall the first game with complete mod. This is just downright depressing news for me.

The game may not be cracked day 1 but it won't take a pirate to do as bindi said. How is this form of drm even fair to people with download limits?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Ohh you troll :p

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Meh, it's fair enough from their point of view. Their target audience is Eastern European, piracy in Eastern Europe is rampant (because for most of them the £30 price of a AAA game is a lot more than it is to us); therefore DRM.

It will probably kill their sales in the long term if it goes through.

4. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Well that sucks, I really love the series (aside from the bugs), but TBH I have never lost connection in 4 years so aside from maybe wanting to play on a laptop while on the go I just hope they change their mind

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

if it's anything like steam, you'll be booted from your game, even if the connection loss is only momentary. I have experienced this with dow retribution recently where I have remained connected to the internet, team speak etc. But because of issues at the steam end, my friends and I get booted back to the main menu with a "you have lost connection to steam". To think ubisoft and others have and are going to have even worse DRM that steam is...disappointing to say the least.

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Battlefield 3 has online DRM so what? It's better than SecuROM!!

7. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

way to miss the mark.

Battlefield 3 is mostly played in it's online Multiplayer mode. So Battlelog is not so out of place. not to mention that it actually contributes to the player's enjoyment by adding stats and community features.

Stalker is primarily a single player game with a voracious modding community. By implementing always-on DRM so that you have to download the relevant files as you play the game, in order to keep playing, is a poor choice to say the least. This is not only a pain in the ass, but also leaves out the modding scene. Which is a big part of the series.

In other news. GSC has released a statement on the matter here:

Hopefully that means they won't use it.:rock:

Praise the Emperor for that!:clap:

8. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

I second that Pete,

I always buy my games BUT if i'm forced to have a permanent internet connection for any game (which I won't ever be!) then I'll find a way around it.

Because no way am I paying my hard earned money just to get booted from the game should my internet connection suddenly go down! Some game developers just take the p*ss..

9. knarF

knarF Noob

Game developers seem to forget that they aren't just making a game, they're making a product, and this is not an acceptable implication for a product that's been bought at full price. If i ever got booted from a game they would get some hefty complaints. I live in a small village with terrible internet, if i download anything i just leave it going over night but i can normally game online, but it's hardly a reliable connection. I think i'll just not even think about this game until they get so many complaints that they patch this out, which is a shame because it's a franchise i really want to get into.

That said, i read on Destructoid that this isn't a certainty yet, they simply said they were thinking about it as one of the possibilities. Hopefully the internet's reaction will stop them thinking about it.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011