1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single-threaded WUs points credit

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Chicken76, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Have installed the SMP client in a hurry, and forgot to add the -smp argument right from the beginning. Now it's downloaded a WU and running on a single core, as expected. Am not going to stop it and let it go to waste, but have restarted it with -oneunit and I shall let it finish, after which I'll modify the client.cfg file.

However, the surprise is how long it takes to crunch this WU. Tpf is well over an hour, and this is a Phenom II 555 (at stock for now). I remember that a year ago when I started fording with the system-tray client, a (definitely slower) mobile Core2Duo was doing way better than this. Is AMD really bad at folding, or have the WUs blown up in size?

The upside is the estimated points credit: 4.2k!
    I clearly remember the old WUs were worth no more than a couple of hundred points.
    Have they added bonus points to these WUs following the SMP model?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  2. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Im using the beta client as suggested to me by our fine forum members :thumb: and ive noticed that the time per frame can be pretty innacurate and the PPD is too as a result, maybe this could somehow be whats going on here? It doesnt sound like your using the same client as me but I cant think of what else it could be, I certainly never got 4.2k from a single threaded WU, I was using the cpu client before and I cant remember getting a TPF of over an hour, your right they do take ages though :(

My processors a phenom ii 955 at 3.4ghz btw

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Well, I'm using the 6.34 SMP windows client, but without the -smp argument...
    Tpf can vary if the system is used heavily, but it isn't the case for mine. Tpf is pretty much constant. The unit will take almost 5 days to complete. This is pretty strange, considering the deadline is in 25 days. From what I remember, the single-threaded WUs used to complete in less than a day, and they had more than one month till deadline. For something that a Phenom II at 3.2 GHz takes 5 days to complete running 24h/day, 25 days till deadline seems pretty tight, considering that these WUs are targeted at systems that fold only a few hours a day, and usually have older single-core CPUs.

I wonder what would happen if I stopped it and started it again but with -smp ... :worried:

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Stop client, run -configonly, add -smp to extra parameters. Restart client and it will pick up a SMP WU when the current WU is finished (no need to use -oneunit)

Make sure you have a passkey.