1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Proxy for facebook

Discussion in 'Software' started by Picarro, 10 Oct 2011.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hi people

My school has blocked Facebook on the local internet and it annoys me to no end. Can anyone of you recommend a decent proxy server? I do not require extreme speeds just a reliable service and a price that does not exceed more than a couple of £'s a month.

2. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Complain to the network administrator and leave it at that. You have Internet access at home for such things, do you not?

Yes, you can use a proxy to work around blocking (lots of free ones available - Tor being one of the largest) but if the people running your school network find out (it is possible to detect that a proxy is being used) then you would likely face disciplinary action.

The same thing applies to anyone facing similar restrictions at work or university - their network, their rules.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

^^^^^^^what Astral Said ^^^^^^^^

they block them for a reason, mostly security, facebook is evil when it comes to infected adverts and applications

4. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Couldnt agree more with astral and rich. Use facebook at home, not at uni. Unless you mean you are living on campus in uni dorms and are using the university's internet, then yeah that would annoy me.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

TOR is great, and is a live app you can run it off a memory stick. Another good thing, is Hotspot Shield - this is a vpn that tunnels you out in america, so you can also use this if you are trying to view stuff on the net that is restricted to US traffic. But it also means you can view anything really on a protected network, as all the traffic is vpn traffic.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'm in High School and they block it because it takes too much of the bandwidth with 800 students being on it at the same time. I need to be on it because I am planning a major event involving 300 persons and I have to be able to answer questions for them as soon as they post them.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

At my school they block all proxys :( they use bloxx btw

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Then ask them for an exemption? Going around the IT policy laid in place for a good reason is pretty daft, and I'm sure it'd drive me mad if I was your school's Admin.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

If you have a valid reason, ask them to simply allow you access.

10. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Why not give email contact details on the event description? That should allow you to respond without breaking skool rulez (optionally include a mobile number, if you have one, for urgent queries - but with 300 people you'll probably have several doofuses who don't know what "urgent" means).

If you're concerned about spam, create a new email account (with a free provider like GMail or use an alias service like Spamgourmet or SneakEmail with an existing email) just for that event, and close it when the event finishes.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Get a smart phone?

12. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

Surely most of your facebook friends, are friends...from school? :eyebrow:

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Pretty much this. Talk to your IT admins.

Students caught bypassing the filter system in our school have their accounts disabled. It really isn't hard to spot this stuff in the logs. I don't know what policies your guys have in place, but it's always better to ask them first. You may even be able to get a friendly tutor to check it for you is they have access to a staff proxy.

Otherwise, smartphone.

14. fredrikrob

fredrikrob What's a Dremel?

You can go for the online proxy. There are lot's of free online proxies available and i mostly use these when got in such situation. You must try some of these mainly HTTPS based proxy is good for such.