1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Rage Technical Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Oct 2011.

1. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

the game crashes every time i exit the arc. i have a medium spec rig - amd phenom x4 3.2ghz, geforce 550 ti 1gb, 16gb ddr3 ram, ect - and i have not even been able to play 5 minutes of the game. i have scoured the internet for solutions and tried them all. from config tweaking, using win vista versus win 7, graphics drivers, random tweaks on the nvidia control, all sorts of nonsense. im about to format the drive and reinstall win7 and a clean download of rage and its patch with just the nvidia beta drivers. if it does not work after this im going to be real pissed and wondering how i can get my money back. i am a long fan of id games, and Bethesda games. this has been the worst pc experience of my life, and ive been playing pc titles since commander keen, rise of the triad, duke nukem 1, even gorillas for msDOS - all the way through quake1-3, doom(s), tribes, or whatever else. this is so unbelievable i dont know how to react.

all i know is that im severely upset with the whole situation and i have a hard time arguing why pc is better than a console these days...

2. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

It says "Adjust the slider until the logo is just visible."
    What logo? Where is it? Regardless of how I set the slider there are far too many areas in this game that are too dark to do anything with.
    After playing it a while I find the game too linear and the corridor too narrow. I've gone back to areas I've cleaned out, found that they weren't repopulated, yet they had items that would've easily been seen the first go-round but there isn't anyone left to have placed them in a wide open space where they would been seen and grabbed to begin with.
    I really liked this game but the further I go through it the more it seems that Carmack himself has become less lucid and lost his, and the games, focus.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Interestingly I'm waiting for a texture pack to come out. I'm sure it will, just like Doom 3.

4. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

I was hoping for more in depth tech analysis.....you make no mention of enabling texture caching on the hard drive which is a major contributor to preventing popin.
    Is there any way to disable the games auto balancer as I beleive this is what continually makes the ingame settings for vsync default to "off".....ps you forgot to mention that vsync also has a "smart" option.
    In any event the vsync doesn't stop screen tear...but perhaps that's because I can't get it to remain on :-/

5. Nanu

Nanu What's a Dremel?

Am i the only person with a gtx 580 banging my head in frustration waiting for a new title that actually stresses my system??

Crysis is still probably the best looking game I can find, and that's 4 years old now.

The phrase 'dude what the hell' comes to mind.

I was massively disapointed by the graphics in rage, however as a game, it's simply excellent.

6. OI 121

OI 121 What's a Dremel?

I purchased Rage Release Day...4 cash.!! Took about 90min to load?!-Steam, Disk, Whatever-yeah,I get it..STEAM ARMOR Protects Developer, Dig! All this while and a YEAR + WEEEEKS of anticiption, LOGON and my heart sinks below the Floor, all my saving , all of my respect, for Carmach-- and his supposed Nerdy Genious-- is SOO great but his Candor of Blame is disgusting..I have scoured and scavenged the Net for a droopy teet of info to fix this nightmare of a release..
    I work two jobs; I have 4 children; I own my home; I own my car and all the other RESPONSIBILITIES that I share with the rest of the Industrialized world..Yes, I also own a console XB,; I never use it. My daughter uses it for XB Kinect and Virtual Clothing that's it..the rest of us literally 'time' each other for use of this gorgeous Desktop-the parts sits on a 2x8, it looks like a naked life support machine... I put it together; and me being - Poppa, get to teach these rowdy youngsters about Fabled Zombies, Witches, Demons, Monsters, Knights, Kings and Queens, Religion, nothing better than Micro managing Agriculture, Virtual Population Growth, Virtual Economies, Money and GOld- All done through Gaming and its Platforms. What am I getting at, I am long winded, but sometimes searching for solutions to purchased problems is inspiring, but Rage is a complete nightmare; I believe that this is a manufactured problem solely used on PC to protect interests away from pirating...Smart move?! Well, personally, I look to different information centers for not so reputable solutions. I cant believe that I should have to-- considering.
    Those of who know the pc , AS Mr Carmach does!, knows that a great game WILL prosper even if PIRATING Targets a release,... as Rage has now achieved. 9 days out and still No fix!! I cannot fix this quagmire; I cannot return it, and iI will not-- only to turn around in due time just to make a friggin point..I am beyond angry. This here on 'bit-tech' is as close as I can get to voicing my frustration, thnkyou bit-tech, you are awesome.Mr Carmach should get off his blame game and fix this rerleased trash so all of us can move on...All of this to save a few bux, yes, it may be millions, I have no idea, I do know marketing , and one of his minions whispered a bit too loudly.. Whatever Cash infusion he may have had, even if those awful Scalawags ripped Rage a new one, will now be on purpose..So congrats, Mr Carmach, pirating is terrible; you may have now made it worse for you and your agents; you may only get a cold, but I hope you get sick...SOB

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Crysis 2 with the directx 11 and high res add ons.

Set up GPU-Z in the back ground with monitoring on.

Empty a clip from an automatic weapon in to a fountain and watch the tessellated water splashes bring your card to its knees.

Exit to GPU-Z to confirm 100% GPU usage and VRAM maxed.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

been playing through it.. rage is great looking imo

the environment textures are really bad in closed in areas but you don't even notice playing through- like look at this little closet area in the first picture.. and look at other parts of the dead city.. mixed bag

maybe different drivers cause the bad textures to stick out too

not defending the textures.. just saying people who are really shagging the game are definitely seeing something different

noticed with the fixed ati driver.. it made the color brighter (cartoonish) compared to the one I'm using now.. and some videos I've seen on nvidia looked pretty bad

it could just be a case of- these rushed drivers in both camps are total garbage to patch it up

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I like shooting those little guys legs.. they grab it and keep trying to attack you from the backside like they are on a mission

and here's a 570 after they released the beta (the ntune guy had probably just come in from the binge train, and huang told him to make it work) :worried: .. that's probably what's causing the roid rages- if it looked like that I don't think I could enjoy it much either

9. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

i just reformatted, reinstalled win7.64, steam, rage, drivers, ect - and it did not work. then we tried all sorts of crazy windows updates and all kinds of nonsense including verifying steam files, directx updates, audio driver crash problems, and we figured why not try another video card. so we did that, put in a radeon 6970 versus the nvidia 550ti and still it crashed. we did more config edits, start up command lines, we basically just spent the last four hours rebooting my computer. he ended up taking the desktop home to his place to see if he can swap ram, ect to see if its a hardware problem at this point - and the entire rig is brand new and everything worked flawlessly until we tried to put rage on it... the only other game i played on it before rage came out was falloutNV - and that worked fine.

so who do i talk to to get a refund - or a PS3 copy?

/pissed

10. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

11. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

12. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

LOL that is not an edit button. that is a reply button.

my bad.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

14. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

yea man i have been all over that thread ive tried tons of that stuff. but nothing can stop it from crashing seconds after i exit the arc. if i stay inside theres no problem. but once i crack the door its over. :(

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Developers need to be more like DICE and stop pandering games for consoles first & PC last. PC are waaaay ahead of consoles in terms of hardware and graphical advantages, why not do what DICE have done and use that hardware to the full potential like we've seen in BF3!

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Sweet, now can someone create Quake and Q3A in tech5 please.

17. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

I was seriously expecting more of such big names involved in the making of RAGE. Nonetheless the game feels more of a tech/engine demo than anything else but failed to deliver anything impressive. The landscaping is awesome but gets totally overshadowed by bad close up world textures. One thing I do find interesting though is that the whole game feels very stable and the character response is pretty good. Then again I am running this on a GTX580, i7, 16GB RAM and a SSD and experience only brief texture popping in he start menu.

Back to WoW .....

Tags: Add Tags