1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New parts but very sluggish: out of ideas

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by garyb85, 23 Oct 2011.

1. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

Hi ,
    I have been having many issues with my new computer parts and I am out of ideas now. I will list my spec first

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 34 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE (LGA1155) 60 °C
    Graphics
    SMT22A350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (MSI) 44 °C
    Hard Drives
    733GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD753LJ (SATA) 22 °C
    Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Just installed it 3 days ago and it really isn't working out, it is slow to respond and feels very sluggish. the mouse drags, errors when starting up are CPU fan error in post, I have to start every time from the bios, I have had a few blue screens.

Any help I can get would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Gary

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Have you installed all the drivers for your kit?
    Have you set your RAM timings & voltage correctly in the BIOS?

3. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

all drivers installed, but unsure what you mean by setting my ram timings and voltage, shouldnt that be ok by default ?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

5. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

6. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

i must abmit im new to over clocking and did use the asus software to do it auto for me, i set to default for the bios upgrade and have left it alone as i dont really understand how to oc.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If you look at the screens displayed on that page I linked, that's pretty much the standard BIOS settings you want to aim for. No overclocking applied! Start from there and see if the system stabilises.

8. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

kk mate thanks, il get back to you and let you know.

9. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

well its running but not particularly smoother from what i can see, the mouse is still dragging over flash banners, and still feels slower than my q6800, could it be a bad install even thou its my 2nd attempt at a win7 install for these reasons ?.

10. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

I'd doubt it's a bad install personally, have you checked your temps? I know you've listed several alongside your parts but are these at idle or load? Did you build the system yourself or have someone do it for you?

11. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

i built it myself, temps all seem fine at load and idle.

12. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

Try a new power supply?

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Motherboard temp seems excessive, & why is your ram speed reported as less than half what it should be (minimum)?

I'd start by setting your bios to default, then selecting the XMP ram profile, see where that gets you. If your mainboard temp is being reported as that in bios, I'd consider that either 1) you've got a badly manufacured board (poor contact with the chipset heatsinks) or 2) you have no case cooling at all.

14. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

ah sorry the temps are wrong in this description sorry real temps are as follows:

CPU - 18 @4.80GHz

mobo - 27

case is cosmos type s so cooling is good

this is my last attempt so any other ideas guys ?

tried a few games and with some i get to play 10 15 mins of play then a crash, game stops completely and makes a repeating noise until i turn the computer off manually with the power swich this happens on games with dx10 or dx11.

game/games that work are wow, swkotor, and spore

games that don't work are dawn of war 2 and battlefield 3. dawn of war 2 doesn't last long at all and ati message appears and says ati grphics has crashed but recovered ? , battlefield 3 lasts from 10 mins to 30 mins.

any futher help would be great guys thanks

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Firstly CPU fan error means no fan connected to the header you can disable the warning in bios under CPU hardware

2nd your ram should be set via XMP profile

3rd is the hard disk an Eco drive as its only thing I can think of for sluggish performance

Ati driver crashes are why I went nvidia, problem is to fix the ati driver crash requires a lot of patience you need to find a stable driver for the games you want to play which means trial and error gl with this, there is other ways to fix it but the most likely is that you find a working driver and stick to it. Ati and nvidia graphics both auto recover under windows 7 thats what they do unfortuately most games dont come back on once the crash has occured

quick edit to this

Please make sure the cpu fan is running before disabling the above.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

2nd post

your temps are wrong unless your under water and even then id say they are wrong

18c? unless you live in a cold room you cant get below sumit like 25c without exotic cooling methods that people dont use on a day to day basis.

run prime 95 through your system and post some temps using realtemp that will give a near enough point of reference

as you will find the temps are alot different to what you have reported.

realtek audio drivers also cause alot of issues with certain graphics cards and games there is a list around that i will try and post a link for you too

17. garyb85

garyb85 What's a Dremel?

these are different anyway lol real temp showing all at 27 - 30 and distance to TJ max is all 68 - 70

18. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

You're running the CPU at 4.8GHz? While I'm aware that sandybridge is highly overclockable... what happens if you just run everything at stock settings? Has that been tried? Else it sounds like a GPU or maybe a RAM issue.

19. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Download CoreTemp and check the temps of the cores if it's shutting down under load then most likely over heating.

Would also check you have the latest drivers for graphics and motherboard.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

run ati here myself and there are no driver crashes..

you probably never installed the chipset drivers.. install everything here

http://support.asus.com/download.as...LUXE&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=Jfx0darRRdhhQ3So

and go to amd.com for your video card drivers

*edit well after re-reading.. it maybe a thermal issue if your getting blue screens.. sorry rollo- thought you were just out of control xD

make sure everything is hooked up correctly first thing.. reset the cmos and see what happens from there

Last edited: 3 Nov 2011