1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Groom Speech Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Comfyasabadger, 24 Oct 2011.

1. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

The count down to my wedding has started and I'm in need of assistance.
    I have written my speech, that it seems was the easy part.

Because I am a social retard and completely implode at the thought of delivering it in front of a big group of people I'm going to do something a little different.

I want to create a video of clips from movies. These clips would be of one or two words all stitched together to make the speech/poem/rhyme thingy.

And this is where I'm lost, is there such a thing as a movie word database :D or do you think I should take a couple of weeks off work and just watch random films in the hope of catching a word or two. If all else fails I might just record myself reading the speech and edit it with some cheesey movie effect like cloning or something.

Help!? :D

Last edited: 24 Oct 2011
  2. chrisdj

chrisdj What's a Dremel?

God I love geek weddings :D

3. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

It's not great doing a speech but people and practice can help! I can offer a couple of tips if you decide to go with the "traditional" method.

I've been best man twice, both times with a groom that found it a bit difficult to speak out. I'm in the same boat, I don't do loud speaking very often and doing the speeches scared me to death, the first time was horrible, but I didn't prepare! For the second I practiced a lot, usually in front of a mirror, it sounds stupid but once you accept what you sound like and know what your going to say it becomes a lot easier. Your allowed to stumble a bit, it's your wedding for heaven sake! It's accepted and everyone (more or less) knows you anyhow, it's part of the fun.

I find a written speech quite difficult and if you read into your notes rather than the audience you become softer and softer, I use cards for the jokes (I'm lousy at remembering punchlines) and highlights of bits to talk about.

You've written the speech, that's the hard bit, get everyone out the house and shout at a mirror!

4. Comfyasabadger

Thank Puk, will try some of those tips but maybe as a final final resort, like plane G or something :D

I wonder if my Doc will give me some beta blockers. I have been the bestman once. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.
    I shake so much it's like I'm standing on a Vibraxis machine, oh and I got heckled by the grooms aunty..... Bitch!!

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think you have two options.

A - Man up and just do it. I don't do any public speaking but I decided I would just make it up on the spot at my wedding and it worked. It's not a job interview, its your family and friends who are all there to see you get married. All your saying is thank you for coming anyway.

B - Don't do a speech. There are no rules to a wedding despite what people will try and tell you so if you don't want to do it than don't do it. Speeches were optional for the best men and the father of the bride at ours.

Pro-tip. Do the speeches before the meal. Everyone is still (relatively) sober and it gets all the formal crap out the way so you concentrate on having fun!

6. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

You could upload your speech and let the hive mind work away at it. You never know what might come of it, there are some movie buffs on these forums.

7. October

October Mariachi Style

This ^^

We will be your movie word database! There's bound to be enough collective movie knowledge to get it sorted! Massive editing job though...unless all the words happen to be available in high quality Youtube clips.

8. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Movie buffs is a bit of an understatement. There people here that can identify a movie with little more than a lousy description of golden men and tiger shaped burn marks.

You need a word, someone will know the movies that have it.

9. Comfyasabadger

Awesome.

Well these are the unique words in my speech:

8th A About agree aid aisle all Almost along always amazing An And are aren’t As aside attempt away awesome Bad ban be Beautiful Because been begun Besides best better biggest bloke breath breathe Bridesmaids But came can’t caring Carrying Cheer coming could course Dad Dad’s day did do don’t done down dreading etiquette express expressing family feel folk For forget forgetting fret friend friends frightening from fun gave give glasses gloomy go gorgeous great Groom had happen has have He he’s hear heard hearts heat help helped helping Henry her here hide him his Hit honoured hope how I I’d I’ll I’m I’ve If important In Is it It’s Joking just keep Kent kind kneel known ladies Language last life Like likes List listen lives load long longer look looks love made make Makes man married me mean might mind most moved much Mum must My new Next no not Now Of off On One original other Our out over Paris part personality please pleasure pretend raise raising really reason recall rehearse ring room Rose rule running said say Secondly see seeing share Sharing She short should sitting skip small smile So someone son special speech stay stayed sticking stories stunning taking task tell Than thank thanks Thankyou That The their them there there’s They thing think This time To toast today took tool tried try undertake unkind up us Ushers verse very vid Was way We We’ve wedding when which who’s Who’ve wife will With Without wives won’t words worthy would wouldn’t wrong You Your

The less obscure a film the better, things with a wedding theme would be a bonus like Love Actually or Father of the Bride. I have quite a larger DVD collection so hopefully that won't be a problem I do wonder about the legality of cutting clips from DVDs.

257 words in total, so I reckon about 10 movies, a week and a half to get the initial ripped movies then maybe 2-3 weeks clipping and chopping.

Due to the time limit and the amount of editing this will need I'll also be doing Plan B along side this where by I will clone myself a couple of time reading the speech, as I don't own a decent enough Video Cam the missus (who is a teacher) is going to see if she can borrow one from the Drama Dept. Work have loaned me a projector and a laptop.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

As long as your clips are under 10 seconds I believe they are exempt from Copyright laws.

11. Comfyasabadger

Ok, Brilliant.

12. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

The thing to remember with speaking is whether you are speaking to one person, a few friends or a large group, it's all the same. Talking is talking, it's only different in your mind (You can read that last bit in Yoda style if it helps)

It's your wedding, people are there to see you have the best day of your life. Half the people there are your family who will laugh at pretty much anything you say, the other half are people who want to like you because you are marrying one of their own. Most of them will be pissed. It;s hard to go wrong with a grooms speech, the things you need to say are so laid out, and it's the Best Man's job to do the funny stuff, yours just needs to come from the heart and flatter your bride to the max.

Don't sweat it, just get it done, and if you can make her cry then bonus!

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I'd make it hard and try to find all those words in pr0n movies... that's bound to leave an impression.
    Some of them should be easy: Bridesmaid, came, dad, etc... :D

Alternately, try to find as many as possible in Arnie flicks...

14. Comfyasabadger

Thanks countstex, it's easier said than done for me I'm afraid.

That might work, some of the oldies and not so oldies might have a heart attack.

It could be the sequal to Four Weddings and a Funeral. One Wedding and Four Funerals :D

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I suggest you do a sample sentence or two that are quick and easy to achieve - I'm not convinced a speech assembled in this manner will be very audience friendly, you need clips of phrases, not individual words.