Storage Moving Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krishan, 30 Oct 2011.

1. krishan

krishan Minimodder

Hey, despite the increasing hard drives prices I have managed to get a 1TB Caviar Black from work for £30 :rock:

Currently I have a 64GB SSD for OS/Programs.
    My storage is a 2TB WD Green but after getting the Caviar Black i will use that and put the green into my home server.

How would i go about moving all documents and games from the green to the black? Could i move the Users folder over and then change the relevant registry keys.
    As for programs installed on there. Could i use steammover for all the programs?

Thanks

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Steam mover only works for your steam games, not sure about how to move the other programs.

3. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Put new disk into computer and give it a drive letter. Copy everything over to new drive. You will probably want to enable view hidden files and folders and when copying steam folders close down steam to prevent any locked file issues.

Once all data is copied go into disk management, remove the drive letter from the original drive and assign it to the new drive. Test everything is working ok then remove the original drive from the computer.

4. semper_si

semper_si What's a Dremel?

You could use drive-image software which would deal with the permission issues that always seem to crop up when copying disks.

Paragon backup or driveimage xml are free possibilities...