1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory New Vengeance Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddieboi, 3 Nov 2011.

1. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

I currently have the first gen i7 920 CPU and P6T mother board and I'm thinking about upgrading the ram to newer one.

I currently have corsair xma3 1333 ram if I can remember correctly. Not sure weather I should go for the 12gb or 6gb vengeance ram and weather it would work on my mb.

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Assuming you mean triple channel kits (3 x 2gb = 6gb or 3 x 4gb = 12gb) and you are running Windows 7 64bit (or any 64 bit os) the sticks should work in your motherboard. Apparently the frequencies above 1333Mhz up to 2000Mhz are supported via overclock, in my experience on Asus boards this is merely a question of changing the frequency in the bios.

The points to consider are whether you wish to keep your old ram as well and to make sure you use a single channel for each different kit (the ram slots are colour coded, make sure all the ram from a single kit are in the same coloured slots). Finally, beware of the tall heatsinks on the vengeance ram if you are using a custom cooler, you will need to physically inspect your setup to make sure none of the ram slots are impaired by the cooler if you wish to fill all the slots. If you are only filling half the slots then you can afford for the first one to be impaired.

3. Eddieboi

I assume that because I have a triple memory board I can only use triple memory ram?

Also on another note in regards to a CPU cooler can the fan still cool just as well on the other side of the heats ink as a pull cool air through method?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just bought these.

[​IMG]

It's a dual/quad channel pack and I bought it for my LGA2011 build in a few weeks, but I'm using 3 of them in my X58 board, and they work very well. They're low profile so you won't have any cooler problems.

They're meant to be 9-9-9-24 2T but I'm running them as 1T with 1.5V and they're rock solid at 1600.

5. Eddieboi

Problem is I'm still not sure if I could fit the one in by the fan as its a pretty big CPU cooler

Any chance of a link too?

6. Pookeyhead

Was that addressed at me? Link to the RAM?

7. Eddieboi

Yup :)

I prob better off just getting 3x4 gb ones as I know they would fit lol and sell my old ddr3 xms lol

8. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

Hi in the same dilema as yourself with an x58 goinb from 3gb 1333 xms.

From what I have read memory in dual channel is just as quick and is a lot cheaper to buy I think I'm going to buy vengeance 2 x 2gb for 28 quid or 2 x 4gb for 45. The only bit I don't like the look of the board with the missing ram stick.

Sent from Bittech Android app

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

If you are getting rid of the old ram, in most cases and cooler may only obscure the 1st slot, check this, if that is so then you are laughing whatever heat sinks the RAM uses.

I would never recommend setting the cpu cooler fan as pull. CPU fans must exert high hydrostatic pressure to push air through the fins which offer resistance. In pull it is even less efficient at doing this which will result in higher temperatures.

10. Pookeyhead

linkeh

11. Eddieboi

Ok thanks for that info.

Does it matter much if using a dual channel ddr3 setup in a triple ddr3 motherboard?

12. Pookeyhead

If you mean does it matter of you use 2, or 4 sticks of RAM, then yes, and no. Yes, because it will only be dual channel, so you'll lose some bandwidth, and no because it will still work fine... just slightly slower.

They don't appear to do the LP RAM in triple channel kits though.

Corsair do this though, and to be honest, I can't see any reason why it would perform any differently.

13. Eddieboi

Found some triple channel ddr3 corsair vengeance ram on scan and ebuyer so will prob get that which it means I won't have an issue with the slot being blocked by the fan.

And it means I get an extra 6 fb of memory and still be able to use my triple channel.

14. Pookeyhead

The normal Vengeance are quite tall though. That's why I got the LP version. If it fits though, it's great memory. Like I said I'm running it here and it's rock solid, and I do a great deal of video editing that uses all my RAM all the time, and it's not had any issues yet.

15. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

There is plenty of proof/test out there where it is no slower and in some cases faster running in dual channel, still I'm not sure which setup I will be going for. For the price it's much more tempting to go dual..

Sent from Bittech Android app

16. Pookeyhead

I bet to differ.

Triple Channel
    [​IMG]

Dual Channel
    [​IMG]

That's nearly 7GB/Sec bandwidth loss.

It depends what you are doing. If like me, you are editing large batches of 70MB TIFF files, or large amounts of high bitrate 1080P video, it makes a noticeable difference. Why else would they develop a triple channel platform, and then are about to release a quad channel platform if it makes no difference?

It becomes less clear when you are trying to choose between say, 3x 2GB triple and 4x 3GB dual, then the extra amount may offset the lack of bandwidth, but only if you regularly max out your RAM.

Given the choice for what I use my machine for, I'd be crazy to opt for dual channel in a X58 board.