1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Dark Rock Advanced Owners Report! Third Party Fan Pictures!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 6 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm interested to learn if any Dark Rock Advanced owners have tried using a third party 120mm fan with this CPU cooler? I have the earlier C1 edition and it came with fan retention clips but I've heard very little in the way of alternative fans used with this cooler. The stock fan is fantastic but I am curious if I can push it a little further with a Phobya Nano 2G mounted in its place.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2011
  2. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Ive been wondering (as Im looking at one for xmas) this too.
    Also is a second fan an option?

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You can always use cable strips. Have a look at one of the GT1850's? They are great and you can get them in PWM versions.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

If you want 2 fans then you are probably better off getting the Dark Rock Pro. It comes with 2 fans as standard. I got mine on eBay for £45 shipped, and there are often others at similar or even lower prices. So cheaper than buying the Pro from somewhere like Scan and adding another fan :)

In fact, I just checked and there is one on eBay ending in about 2h30 that is currently at £20! Unless it gets a lot of last second bids, someone's gonna get a bargain there :)

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Overkill but a good deal! :D

Have you tried different fans than the stock debs3759? My boot temperatures are ridiculous with the Dark Rock Advanced now it's getting colder, my lowest being 19 degrees this morning on one of the cores! Around 55 degrees under stress which is really good at 4.5GHz, but I want mooohhwaaaaarar! :D

6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I haven't needed to use different fans. The system it's in is running a Pentium E6700 clocked to 3.9 GHz, and it's folding 24/7. HWMonitor has been open for a couple of days, and the max temp recorded is 59C on core 1, 57 on core 2. Current temps are 44/38, with the processor 100% loaded (folding). I had it clocked to 4.07GHz for a while and it only hit 52C after 1 hour of Prime95, but it became unstable and I've been too busy on my new system to do much testing on the old one so i turned the clock back a touch until I have time to test different settings.

Once I have finished tinkering with the new system (possibly before I get it under water) I'll be switching the old system off until it's needed again. No point wasting energy on an old PC that will always use more power for less work :)

7. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

I would, but they're just a bit massive :hehe:

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have a look at this picture...

[​IMG]

Would a typical fan shroud be compatible with these retention clips? I know its a matter of mere millimetres but in this example the Be Quiet fan has grips around the centre of the shroud whilst typical fans have them around the outside. Like the Phobya Nano 2G...

[​IMG]

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just took delivery of the Phobya Nano 2G, this fan can really push some air and it's not all that loud. Quite impressed with its performance out of the case, next phase will be to install this upon my Dark Rock Advanced. Hope the fan retention clips will be enough to secure it! :D

Can see why it comes highly recommended as a rad fan.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Successfully installed the Phobya Nano 2G 120mm fan to my Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced and it has reduced temperatures for my i5-2500K CPU by around 5 degrees when under stress with Prime95. This is overclocked to 4.5GHz with 1.30 volts and stressed temperature typically around 50 degrees. Really impressed with this result and installation was surprisingly painless. I found the best way to install it, assuming the Dark Rock Advanced is mounted in the case is to up end the entire case. This way you can connect the Phobya Nano 2G to the CPU fan header and rest it flat upon the Dark Rock Advanced, hands free! Then place the retention clips supplied with the Dark Rock Advanced on the Phobya Nano 2G and whilst pulling the bracket on to the heatsink also push on the first bend on either side of the clip. It slips on so easily doing it this way and holds the fan really well.

Here's some pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

They are some sexy looking fans, Im concidering a Dark Rock in my system in the new year, maybe even get the same fans xD

Though do they come in Green? I'm tempted to switch out the side panel/front etc for the Nvidia Edition. I quite like the green.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

They don't do this particular fan in green.

Glad to be a trend setter anyway, never seen a third party fan on the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced to date. I might very well be the first to advocate this option on the Dark Rock Advanced. Now where the hell is my royalty cheque Be Quiet! :D

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok looks like im going to hunting for good 120mm fans. It's not some much high rpm but more volume of air movement right?

I may get the dark Rock and stick two of these on it xD http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-scythe-gentle-typhoon-5400rpm-cooling-fan-d1225c12bbap-31

Last edited: 12 Nov 2011
  14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Right. Also you can only go one 120mm fan on the Dark Rock Advanced unless you employ tactical deployment of cable ties! I would question how effective that Delta fan would be even though it has a ridiculous CFM. It might be the case that the heatsink itself would reach a limit on heat dissipation regardless of what fan you use. In my case the Phobya Nano 2G offered a sensible option for acceptable noise levels, cooling capability, cost and also PWM so it can perform as a CPU cooling fan should with complete control via BIOS.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok so something sensible rather than over the top I should know this. Airflow etc silly me. (I am an an air conditioning engineer) XD

Going to look into it some more. Not changing anything till the new year. And I still have a warranty on this system. I was thinking of of giving the system till March it'd be six months old by then. And then add the dark Rock /w different fans. And look at SSD's and changing the front panel etc etc...

16. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

Has this made much difference to your noise levels? I'm guessing its a bit louder under load, but no noticeable difference when idle.

It's something I would consider doing as long as i can keep my PC near enough silent when idle like it is now.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It thrums away when on 100% which is what I tend to leave it on to keep temperatures under control when I dive in to BF3. It's not a particularly annoying noise to be truthful. Just tried it on minimum settings and it is whisper quiet and certainly more capable than the stock fan even though that is an excellent little fan in itself!

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This is slightly off topic but I'm wanting a new fan to fit my Fenrir. Would the Nano 2G be better than the stock does anyone know?

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

From what I've read about the stock Fenrir fan you'll probably notice a difference with a reduction in noise using the Phobya Nano 2G. I don't believe it'll have much impact on temperatures however. Overall it probably won't represent much of an upgrade in these terms for the money.

20. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Slight aside..........didnt wont to start a new thread for this, i was wonder how a more focus air mover such as a silverstone Air Penetrator AP121. would do on a hsf? (im using a mugen 2revB)