1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel shows off its Knights Corner one teraflop chip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snips, 17 Nov 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15758057

So what's the arguement between CPU and GPU based supercomputers?

I understand GPU requires more programming to do a better job but Intel's CPU approach is plug and play. Is that right? (simplified)

2. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

It depends on your definition of harder. The main difference is the number of concurrent threads you can have running - on a quad-core CPU, you can run 4 threads, one for each core. Add in hyper-threading, and we get bumped up to 8 (that's best case though). A GPU has many, many more cores - for example the GTX570 has 480 of them. I'm not sure if that correlates 1:1 with the number of possible concurrent threads but it can certainly support a hell of a lot more than a CPU.

So really, it depends on the scope of your problem. Do you have a long string of dependent calculations (that is, a string of calculations where the result of the current calculation depends on the result of the former) to compute? Then a CPU, with its higher clock speed will help. Do you have lots and lots of independent calculations? The speed gains from a GPU will be massive.

It all depends on how parallel the computation can be made to be.

3. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

So is this son, father or sibling of Larrabee?

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

It's a shall we say ba$tard son of Larrabee, and is only part based on. They are calling this newer tech MIC.

5. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

ok, ill be "that guy".....

can it run crysis?