1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Llano Availability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Blobbery, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Sorry, back again with more Llano-related questions.
    So it passed my mind that yeild issues might cause Llano shortages for so long, and that demand for them over Christmas would increase sufficiently to make sourcing them potentially tricky. With the current situation being that only a select few vendors actually have any in stock, would it be sensible to get one now and spare myself the bother later on?

Had I an FM1 motherboard on hand I would do this straight off. However, I don't. So if I were to receive a faulty chip, I wouldn't know until about Christmas - I am under the impression that this is beyond the RMA period for most retailers. So I guess there's a second part to the question: if I were to buy once in about a month advance, what would the likelihood be of me receiving a faulty unit?

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the chip should be operational for 6 years otherwise the retailer must issue a replacement or refund. This legislation is quite robust for the 6 months from the date of purchase. Also you are entitled to use Chargeback on various VISA cards for 120 days from the date of purchase. On a credit card Section 75 backs up the Sale of Goods Act 1979 making the credit card company equally liable should there be a fault but only on items of £100 or over.

What you would miss out on is the Distance Selling Regulations that is very comprehensive coverage should the chip be faulty upon receipt for 7 workings days starting the day after it was delivered. Read the thread linked in my signature for more details.

3. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Excellent! Thank you.

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

It's not actually necessarily the full 6 years though is it, but rather a "reasonable period up to 6 years", which for most electricals is 6 years really?

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Quite! Which is why puzzlement crosses my face whenever I'm offered an extended warranty! :D