1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Orange phone contract increase

Discussion in 'General' started by will_123, 28 Nov 2011.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Can orange just text me and tell me the contract that im in with them is being increased?? Are they just allowed to do that...

i just received a text telling me its going up..cant be the only one in this situation?

thanks
    william

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yeah I got the same, apparently it is in the t&c's that they can do this. I am not happy as I have three contracts all with orange.

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

What reason did they give for the increase?

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Glad I don't work for Orange customer services, I work for one of the other big mobile providers and when the VAT when up from 17.5% to 20% we had so many people calling up going off the handle as we were breaching T&C's.

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

:( My bill will be increasing £4.10 a month

6. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

would be worth phoning them up and letting them know you are going to cancel your contract(s) at the end of them due to the changes.
    Would be amazed at how effective that is.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Youch, I just switched, very glad I did now.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Well in fairness to the customers the company dont have to pass the increase on, the could have absorbed it from their profits. But im sure it was in the rights in the T&Cs to do that, just giving you the other perspective not disagreeing with you

But yeh most contracts or T&C's give companies more power than youd think. They give themselves the right to change the price without changing the contract

9. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I completely agree with you, I think the average increase for us was around 50p, I myself thought this could have been picked up by the company but I just feel for the people on the front lines who have no say in the changes but have to deal with the backlash.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It's what they are paid for.

11. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

It should be in your contract somewhere that if they change it then you can end it with no penalty (just administration fee, from memory). Pretty sure it's there somewhere as it's to protect you from exactly this, without it they could do whatever they wanted.
    I may be wrong but I'm sure I've read it before.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think it's very reasonable to be able to increase the cost of a contract up to the RPI without penalty - they have held back below that as well.

13. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

Yeah you're right Fantus, you can now cancel the contract with no penalty.

Although i'm guessing it's one of those really good deals that would be better to hold on to than cancel. T-Mobile had a headache (still does i believe) with some legacy Mercury contracts they got through the One2One buyout.

They did everything to get the remaining customers off them (was down to ~600 accounts in 2005), including dumping these customers in the "crap service queue" - a T3 (i think? was ages ago) in t-mobile speak (T1 customers get through to a special handler team and much faster than other customers, also get special treatment come upgrade time).

The tarriff was something like unlimited free calls while in the boundaries of the city of London for a couple of quid a month.

14. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I can't argue with that and it's not what I was getting at. I agree if people want to voice there concerns by all means and the people are paid/trained for it as you've stated but speaking from the other side it's not nice having to speak to lot's of customers who you do appreciate are unhappy, it is a fairly large increase in cost, but at the end of the day there's not much you can do to help them.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I got all excited when I read that as I really want to dump this contract as I absolutely hate my POS HTC phone. Then I re-read Macks post.

So no you can't cancel your contract with out paying for the outstanding months. :waah:

16. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

TBH just how many customers will lose faith in them doing this? I wouldnt renew if it happened to me!

Orange are pretty hot for doing this they did it to my Mother two months after she had orange broadband installed, went up about 4 quid a month. Luckily she got out of it.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I'd have a look at the regulators web site, there are laws against unfair contracts and a term as one sided as this may come under that.

18. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Yeh I know the felling. I work in a fairly similar situation in the public service. Thankfully anyone I piss off is usually because of legislation.

No he cant as the quote from the orange website says if the increase is less than inflation they arent breaking a contract just using a rule they put into the contract to enforce the increase

only if they were breaking his contract or starting a new one or negotiating the current one could he leave without breaking his contract and avoid incurring disconnection fees

You might be best waiting until your contract is up and negotiating the price of your next contract. You never know, there's no point doing it until then imo though

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Phoned and spoke them apparently they are the last phone company to actually implement the increase and have been holding off. Im just pissed off it was sent in a text.

your phone bill is going up and no explanation. Its only £1.50 but still just a little annoying they can do so.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It is the T&C's I signed up for but if your taking out a two year contract then the fee's should be fixed for the duration of that contract imo.