News Google culls unpopular services

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Nov 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. PDA's begat smartphones. Palm Treo, Windows Mobiles and all that schtick. They just added a phone application to the GUI.

2. Newton got canned because it was too ambitious for the available technology to work, but not before it begat Palmpilot: a smaller, cheaper clone with (much) fewer features but a lower price. Palmpilot begat the Windows PDA, trying to get in on the action. As mobile phones matured, they converged with these PDAs to become smartphones.

Apple started working on a possible tablet by then (yes, that far back). By the time smartphones became de rigeur, Apple realised that it had all the elements to join in: remnants from the Newton, an OS developed for small touch-screen devices and a media distribution network via the iPod and iTunes. Basically, the MP3 player converged with PDA and mobile. The rest is history.

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Andriod was the cheap alternative to iPhones for many carriers. However, with manufacturers rightly paying Microsoft for each handset sold, Microsoft only have to lower the cost of their more structured OS to make huge gains in the market place. Nokia's Lumia 800 is proof that a good manufacturer can add value to WP7 and give it their own unique look and feel. After all the doomsayers predicting more failure for both Nokia and Microsoft, the Lumia 800 has sold out in the UK and some great numbers coming in from all over Europe. Apparently, the seemless direct link up to outlook and exchange server is a clear winner also.

3. cameronjudson

cameronjudson What's a Dremel?

Since I deal with the Google all the time, I feel that it is a very good decision, there were such services, which were when start sort of put me into a question mark and i was thinking that one day they may be shut down.
    For example, when the Google wave was introduced, it was given too much hype but i foretold that it will be a complete disaster and I was right, because they came very weak in comparison to the competitors.
    So in short I consider it to be a very good forward step ahead.

4. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

And just how did this thread degenerate into another minty fresh, as-yet-unseen discussion about Apple et al. exactly...?

Google Wave (in spite of its abominable moniker) had some cool features I really hope to see incorporated into a more streamlined, less-unfortunately-named service.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Rightly? Depends on your definition. By the way, Microsoft only could manage it by going in cahoots with Apple.

Don't crow victory. You are not on the winning side; you are on the losing one. The people who ultimately pay the price for all these patent shenanigans are all of us.

Tags: Add Tags