1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 3D Gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mattyh1995, 25 Nov 2011.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Would you guys recommend it?

2. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Yes and no. It can be costly getting a good system to run it well on high settings. Its still very early on in the capabilities of 3d and the things it can do. Id wait a little while for the new Nvidia Vision 2 specs which promises even better quality but along with that is a costly monitor like here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/asus-vg278h-1041717/review?artc_pg=2

A lot of games will run in 3d as the pc will emulate it even if it hasnt got the profile. Ive even found cyberlink 3d version emulates non-3d films too which is kind of cool. Ive a few ideas about making some 3d websites as well further down the line once HTML5 is more openly used. Ive found that I use 3d more to impress friends and family than actually sitting down and using it daily gaming wise even though BF3 and Skyrim are really pretty to look at.

Just ask yourself how much will you actually use it? Is it worth spending a lot of money to get the right setup just for quickly showing off or going hardcore and making sure you have the cooling to cope with gaming. I think my investment was worthwhile but its still very early days 3d wise.

3. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

eyestrain :(

4. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

hi, ye ive been thinking about getting a monitor and nvidia kit, i probably wont use it every time but i think it would good for some games, have you got a setup or are you thinking about it like me ? i might get the kit soon.

5. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Thinking about buying. But does the 3D-ness justify the £90 price or whatever it costs

6. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

90 quid for just the glasses, you also need a decent 120hz 3d monitor about 300+ and similar gcard to get the best out of it. The specs I have in my sig is what I use for my setup and have to have graphics on medium to high when going into 3d.

7. Jan143

Jan143 What's a Dremel?

Not worth it with the current quality of devices on the market, besides its unhealthy for the eyes. On the other hand, using a 3D-intended monitor with 120Hz in 2D mode gives you a big advantage in FPS games.

8. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

To me it's a stupid thing to do. Sure you can have a nice little 3D gaming experience but once the novelty of it wears off your stuck with the fact you payed 300-400+ dollars on a 20 something inch monitor.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I hooked my PC upto my LG 55LW950T Passive 3DTV. My best jaw dropping experience was playing Tomb Raider Underworld in 3D. That was just amazing, and gave the game incredible depth.

Passive 3D is better on the eyes than Shutter 3D. Also the glasses on Passive 3D is not as dark, and therefore, you don't need to turn the brightness upto max to be able to see the image.

Now although I have given this some bigging up, I will now tell you about the nightmares of running this on a TV. Nvidia 3DTV will only play 3D at 1920x1080 @ 50hz or 1260x720 @ 60hz.
    Now allot of games don't give you the benefit of changing the refresh rate, and some games like to run at 24Hz only. So after spending hours of trying to get some games to work, by I.E modding Config files to force these refreshes, you are forced to give up, as its just to much of a pain in the arse.
    Now another problem is, after setting up 3D, your desktop is always in 3D, which is a pain in the arse to go though the setting to disable it, just to surf the web.

So after putting this into consideration, are you happy wearing glasses all the time at your PC? My answer is...Nope.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This seems to be largely overlooked but it's something I'm very interested in doing. Unfortunately, until 240Hz monitors start coming out 60+ visible frames per second gaming is mutually exclusive with 3D. I know which one I'd choose.

11. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

Not at the current prices, and I don't think 3d gaming will every replace 2d.

Nice toy to have in the house though for when you have guests....

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

They said the same about colour TV!

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Really? :/

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yep - it took a while before it took off with most people initially saying it was a gimmick. Before that people said exactly the same about TV - how it would never catch on and replace the radio.

The thing is, the current 3D technology may not survive, but the concept of 3D probably will. I have totally avoided it so far - I really don't want to see it and then decide that my 30" monitor and my projector now need replacing!! I am usually an early adopter, but this time I think I will let someone else go through that pain!!!

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's the important split, we'll always be looking at ways to make our displays more realistic and the switch from two dimensional images to three dimensional images/objects (gets tough to define) is a big one.

I recently watched Immortals in 3D, reaffirmed my stance on staying 2D: paid more money for an experience which was equivalent to 2D at best.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

True, it's a big move which is probably why television took a while to get adopted. Other than full immersive viewing (as with Star Trek's holodeck) it's the obvious next step though. Personally I don't get it, but then I have not seen anything more recently than 30 years ago with the paper specs. A friend of mine was equally sceptical but now has full 3D going on at his place (which I refuse to look at!). The glasses make him look like Roy Orbison though...

17. JR17

JR17 What's a Dremel?

not sure about 3D gaming in its current form but would never rule it out as the future of gaming, plenty of evidence to populate the increasing trend of 3D both in cinema but also increasingly in the home environment and this is what will ultimately dictate the success of 3D gaming. i was at Best Buy this weekend making the most of their 25% off all games and noticed that they are not only selling 3D Televisions but with 15% off making them as cheap as standard HD ones....either a sign of 3D failing in the home market or becoming a standard consumer product, thoughts?

18. seismic2k

seismic2k What's a Dremel?

I bought my Acer GN245 as a 120Hz monitor mostly for 2d with bf3 but it came with free glasses and i found myself loving it, Portal 2 and Crysis 2 look amazing. Its a nice toy but i don't see me gaming online with 3d, the performance hit is too much though after going SLI with my new build, i will have to try it

19. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

I've been thinking about going 3D myself recently. I was similarly sceptic as most of the people in this thread, but one day I used some paper glasses I got out of a magazine on my crappy 19'' monitor with the nVidia "discover glasses" mode, just to see what it looks like.

I tried a few games and naturally the colours were HORRIBLE (white turned into mixed green with red). But, the 3D effect did work. I tried Mirror's Edge (I always thought that game could benefit from 3D) and while the colours were a mess I really got a nice sense of the volume of things.

The best game I tried by far was Deus Ex though. It did drop my FPS to 30, but the effect was pretty impressive. For starters, the HUD elements popped out of the screen and made it much easier to notice changes on the HUD when other stuff was going on. Again, like in Mirror's Edge, I got a better sense of the size of things, especially the guns I was holding; big guns like the laser rifle looked huge.
    It also changes the perception of distance from stuff in the environment. We're all used to estimating how far things are in a 3D environment projected onto a 2D screen from all our years of running around 3D spaces in games, but it really feels different when you can actually SEE the distance.

It's no game changer, that's for sure, but it's something I could definitely get used to. If I could spare the money, I think I'd go for it.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Next Gen consoles will be 3D enabled, and I'd be very very surprised if 3D wasn't touted as a major feature. When this happens I've no doubt we'll see a huge uptake in 3D TVs and as its being built natively into games which are being ported to PC, an improvement in the effects.

That's probably when I'll consider jumping in.