1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EKWB

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TheNomad, 20 Nov 2011.

1. TheNomad

TheNomad What's a Dremel?

Hello, my english is not so good, sorry.

So i will be a men of few words.

First of all, i decide to build something, im almost live here on bit-tech, looking out yours project and, well, i wanna make stuff like that by myself.

..but 1. no money for new parts here 2. almost no tools here 3. experience almost zero 4. waird ideas 5. patience :)

I'v got some very old server case [junckyard my love], it is a little bender here and there, rust and stuff like that, but it is ok, my eyes see something different when i look at it.

...so lets start:

TOOLS
    Screwdriver
    Very cheap dremel [well its not "that" dremel but similiar
    Hammer
    Scissors

PARTS
    Evga 780i
    Evga 9800gtx
    OCZ Reapers
    Corsair PSU [hx-520w]
    WD HDD [x2 raid0]

Some old blocks [Prison Pro V2 cpu/gpu, Cube Ultra LE]
    Laing DDC 10W
    BIX 360

My case is similiar to this:
    [​IMG]

IDEA:
    Dunno, something black propably :)

(btw im with little budget so dunno if its alowed to write prices for parts that i get [used] but to stay with budget i will write them.

First i sold all blocks that i have [!] and 9800GTX, for that money i bought Supreme HF [nickel+plexi - so all other block that i get will be nickel+plexi as well, and i get some luck with my new gpu - i bought propably working xfx gtx280 ...with copper fullcover ekwb block on it.

With little luck and some hunting skills i'v got a copper NB SB blocks fot 780i and mosfets block [copper] for 680i [yes i know that compatibility is issue here :)]

All block cost me =~15$, and all of them look ugly as hell, copper is green/black/grey and scratched, plexi tops are red frome some liquid. ...but i have time.

I'v got second bix360, scratchend and little bended but never used! ...for a 0,5 of vodka [I live in Poland so...]

...and xspc ddc top/res for a 5$ [look ugly, dirty, propably leaking]

So idea is this:
    Make black case with side panels, clean front panel, no buttons [keyboard password for power on], clean top panel, rebranding everything for ekwb, get some super hiper ultra cheap parts, fix blocks and res, polish blocks, nickel them, get some ultra cheap sleeving, make all in MB colours [black, black, grey, black, green and black], turn that old atx server case to btx or what the hell is word for upside-down case? Black glossy foil film outside, matte black inside.

...and dont make my women angry while i make it :D [one room apartment]

i will add some photos later [LG phone photos, so have marcy on me :D]

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Project logs need to contain pictures of work in progress. Moved to modding; let us know when you have pics and we will move the thread back.

3. TheNomad

THE PUMP
    ..so i have ddc laing 10W, and its awesome for 1 rad and two blocks but now i have six of them so little modding time

before:
    [​IMG]
    and after:
    [​IMG]

from 10W to 18W, good enough, now xspc res, yes its leaking, from so manny places, bottom fitting and 50mm oring, first i use teflon strip on fittings, then little polishing on res bottom surface

[​IMG]

still far from perfect but cant be better

so pump is ready for action.

THE RADIATORS
    one of my rads have something alive inside, green and nasty, alu covers is scratched and dirty, fins are fine :D so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

chemical mix and little polishing

now is time to make some sandwitch, rad-fan-fan-rad = perfect fit in bottom of my new case, fans are my favorite nidec beta V [10W each]

[​IMG]

cooling unit is done.

THE BLOCKS
    so as i write before iv got some nasty looking block:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is bad, but hey! iv got some sand papper and polishing paste, so copper will be good enough, plexi tops look bad too, red liquid dont want come out, so i put them in hot water with some waird domestic chemicals [no alcohol!]

after polishing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

most of them are never be produced in nickel option, only copper so i make some research online, found one big company who make nickel-thing on metal-things, found some contact to someone there, and ask very polite if they make me nickel-thing on my copper blocks, they say we dont do that in details order but ...oh well OK! so i send my blocks to them [another side of Poland], they make nickel-something and send me back, price? just sending blocks there and here around 10$:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

too bad that i dont have digital camera to make better photos of them, shiny shiny things, my preciousssss...

so as i said before, all my blocks are EK, old supreme hf is beautiful but one thing there i dont like:

[​IMG]
    so i change something a little bit:
    [​IMG]
    find difrences on two pictures and win a ... nevermind.

black bolt looks better imho

..always!

anyway iv got a few issues with blocks:
    1. NB block is rev1, so i need use other mounting mechanism or drill 1mm circle around mounting holes, but i dont have driller, and my dremel, well my hand is not so good at making that, btw i can use only 3mm drills in my project, cuz i drill with dremel :D, anyway i make something difrent for that, old school bolts-mb-top
    2. mosfet block dont match my motherboard, it is for 680i, people drill it and use it on 780i but drilling dont look good and ...i can drill only 3mm holes so i made backplate, issolation, longer bolts for it, perfect fit but motherboard is little stresed :D she dont like hard hand on it
    3. second mosfet block is bended! dunno when that happen [Polish postmail Cheesecake] but i need hit it few times with hammer, dit i said that i have a hammer, yes sir i have it :D
    4. SB block is very very close to gpu block, something like 0,00000000000001mm, so i cant use bigger hose than 10/13 and i need slim fittings for that, no clamps alowed
    5. gpu block works fine :D

THE CASE
    so i got this:
    one can say pice of junk, but i say my lovely sweet pice of junk :D
    [​IMG]
    the ideas is to put radiators unit on bottop, psu and hdd's on it, and motherboard upside down, i dont use dvd drivers si i will no need it
    to make case twisted i need some cuts, and i need some fancy mesh in back to airflow cuz that case dont have any [oldschool server]
    [​IMG]
    "L" alu rails on bottom, and 12 holes for screws to hold it, and let me say, drilling with only one bended drill and dremel is a nightmare, A NIGHTMARE, hours people, hours of work!

...but everything fit almost nice, now painting

motherboard tray, cut there i here for sata cables and back of cpu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the case, i promis when i finish it i borrow some camera and make better photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE PSU
    i need two things here, one is rebranding to ekwb and two is sleeving, and i cant find some cheap sleevs so i make only new stickers for fans and psu:
    [​IMG]
    waterproof print:
    [​IMG]
    cleaned psu corsair hx 520 modular
    [​IMG]
    and with stickers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fan sticker i will change when i get some sleevs
    ...and get screwdriver cuz i broke mine with that nast screws on psu, good i have some kitchen tools to screw [did u know: spoon+dremel+some time in gas fire and cold water=screwdriver]

THE CASE v2
    so its time to put all together cuz im almost sure i broke something or it will leaking everywhere:

first cpu lapping:
    [​IMG]
    my good old friend e8400 e0
    [​IMG]

now putting things together and leak testing [or should i say where this will leak testing]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...no leaks! so propably motherboard is broken or huricane will hit somewere near me, Murphys laws.

its all for today, more soon.

plz put my topic back to project logs, thanks.

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Well, that's an vast improvement from the original beige case.

What am I saying? I love you beige 90's caseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

But seriously, that is one massive case. Nice start, will sub, to see what I can do with my old cases! :lol:

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

That's a sweet transformation from the damaged old server case!

6. TheNomad

so iv make a little progress from yesterday, pc i working, temps are low, now iv had a few issues to figure out.
    1. side and front panels
    2. fan control [1 control for 6 fans at once, 10w each so there will be a 60W cooling power]
    3. pump is too hot, 18W mod works great but my little pump is very hot now, i need a radiator or something to cool it down
    4. sleevs!

more photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

image upload

7. TheNomad

Hey, so i have a little problem here, one of my fan cant start at 5v, so i need something to control fans, let them start and work at 6-7v, with some sort of control panel or something, but there is another problem, my fans are nidec beta v, 10W each ... and this is too much for most controls panel, any sugestion plz?

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

9. asura

asura jack of all trades

Or if you want something simple and are feeling brave, you could get a/some monster power fet(s) a potentiometer/rheostat, an op-amp or two, some resisters and diode's and make your own. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere for simple DIY fan controllers.

Looking awesome by the way, a redeemed case and re-used parts; right up my street.

10. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Subbed looking nice so far :D also I like water cooling pr0n :hehe:

11. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

nice!
    Must have missed it.. what sort of temps are you getting with the dual rad design?

12. TheNomad

Dual rad in sandwitch config is not good idea for low rpm fans, but my nidec can make 130cfm so...
    temps are pretty low: gpu 38 idle 55 stress, NB around 45 in stress, but cpu is too hot! dunno why, 44 idle, 60 stress [e8400, 3.6Ghz right now, 1.25v], and some bsod appears, i need figure out this fast, tim on cpu? bad cpu block mount? anyway i will cheack everything step by step as soon as get one day off from job.

I will post some project for panels/front today when i back to home.

and plz, anyone, move my thread back to project logs please, pretty please :)