1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Beyerdynamic 770's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WiryRocketeer, 5 Dec 2011.

1. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Hi,

Its been a while since I last posted but here it goes :p

I'm looking at the "Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset". However I have encountered a predicament. After looking at them on Amazon.uk and searching google, I could not find the answer and as I am not a "headphone freak" I don't know the difference. I came across two pairs of the headset which appear to be similar except the "ohm". This and This And also if necessary, Are there any "better" headphones that you would recommend for around this price range. I don't need a mic.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is? And I will be using them for Rock/Electrical music (Linkin Park, Aerosmith, Daft Punk etc.)

Many Thanks,

Wiry

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Its to do with how or whether you will be amping your headset.

3. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Lower ohm headphones can be driven by devices w/o amps such as ipods.
    High ohm headphones require an amp to "drive" them. using them on an ipod would result in feeble volume.
    While ur at this subject I would highly recommend you Audio Technica Ath m50.. I did look at beyers before I bought these... they r Amazing.

4. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

So what is the advantage of purchasing a the 250 ohm pair of headphones over the 80 ohm version? And bearing in mind I will be purchasing a sound card along with them for around £60-£70

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

250ohm would allow for an amp to drive them without blowing them through next week whilst giving them a purer less noisy signal.

Sound card would probably be better off with an 80ohm set to be honest unless your going to use something like the Xonar essense STX/ST

6. Blue Fiend

Blue Fiend What's a Dremel?

The 250ohm version is quite easy to drive and is meant to have better soundstage performance. I would go for the 250ohm.

7. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

If I purchased the 80OHM version, What soundcard would be recommended and provide enough power? I am afraid to pay £130 for something I can't power (250ohms...)

8. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

any sound card should be able to drive it, however if you want a more detailed and crisp to the sound try investing in an Asus essence STX or something cheaper... personally not a big fan of Closed headphones, have a look into ATH-AD700 or AD900 they are both open headphones which give a better sound stage .. music just sounds awesome with them.

9. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

10. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

apparently they are very similar to the forte 7.1

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You'll probably want to go with something like an esi maya44xte, asus stx, creative titanium hd, or omega claro to get a decent soundcard without completely emptying the bank account.
    I know there are quite a few that are not fond of creative, but I think the titanium is a decent card and haven't had any issues at all with mine, though I would have gotten the esi if I didn't get it for such a bargain.

12. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Ok so I think I have the funds ! Its going to be the 250Ω version with an essence ST (what's the difference except the Pci/Pci/e Interface with the STX PCI/E VERSION?) Many thanks. Reason chosen ST is that if I want to add the "h6" card Many Thanks

13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

The ST is preffered by many audio enthusiasts over as the PCI for what ever reason gives a truer cleaner signal (supposedly).

I have the STX just because the PCI slot is legacy and will be removed from motherboards of the future.

I suggest you get the STX if your motherboard allows it.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would also go with pci-e if at all possible. Sound card tech does not change that fast, so as long as driver support is continued it can last a few builds. PCI slot is being phased out and is already gone from some of the top end lines.
    Also if you want 7.1 why not go for the Claro? It has all of the ports already on the card, though standard 3.5mm mini jacks not rca. It's just as good of a card and would save you some money not having to get a daughter card.

15. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

@OP: Both the Asus Essence ST/X and Claro are excellent cards. As for their performance amping headphones between 80 ohms and 600 ohms, I honestly wouldn't worry about it - the Asus has more than enough power to drive headphones past 300 ohm impedances. You just need to change the gain setting in the drivers (from 0db to +12db or +18db).

What matters here is the output impedance of the sound card. The Asus has an output impedance of 10 ohms. As a general rule, the output impedance must always be less than 1/8th of the headphone's impedance (so in the case of the Beyerdynamic 770 versions, 80 or 250 ohms - both are at least 8 times the output impedance of the Asus card). If the Beyers were say, 26 ohms like the Bower & Wilkins P5, you would hear audible effects upon the frequency response of the headphone assuming the impedance curve of the headphone is not flat.

For more info, check here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

It's a slightly technical read, but I highly recommend taking the time to go through it as it will help you see through some of the audiophile ******** that gets bandied around places like head-fi.

Good hunting!

16. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Just a quick question then. Here is my MoBo

I decided to opt for the STX as a few mentioned, I had a look at some new-ish motherboards and I noticed they come with none/very few pci lanes. So I don't want to not be able to use the card 2 years down the road. So here is abit of Info about my position. I cannot use the bottom 2 pci-e x1 slots for obv reasons (5850 just blocks them totally). From people with the card, would it fit in the very top pci-e x1 lane, and I am running 2 x 4 gb of corsair dominator in both BLACK Ram slots. Also I don't need to worry about it colliding with a cpu cooler as I have a cpu water block. I'm just a bit worried that I'll buy a costly card and then It's not compatible/doesn't fit. Also I cannot see the dimensions anywhere so if someone has one and could maybe spare 5 minutes to quickly measure the height and length, that would be superb

Many Thanks, Wiry