Cooling AMD Llano CPU temp in Bios keeps rising - Fault?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by alanw, 23 Nov 2011.

1. alanw

alanw What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I've put a Llano A8-3850 in an Asus F!A75-M board. :rolleyes: There's one stick of 4GB of Patriot memory, onboard graphics, sound, two case fans amd a 600W PSU.

As soon as the PC is switched on, the CPU temperature in the Bios shoots up to around 65C in about 2-3 minutes. After exiting the Bios I load up XP and the Asus utility program, the temps go down to 30C and below on idle, 60C max while gaming. Using the stock cooler, sometimes the cooler makes a racket for a minute or so but not every time the PC is switched on, the cooler was running at 4700 RPM after running Memtest86. It's a pain in the arse freezing up in both Win XP and Ubuntu.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

First thing...One stick of Ram is wrong, it needs to run in pairs. Use a different program to monitor the temps, try some thing like HWMonitor and see what temps you are getting.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Ram does not need to run in pairs, you just get less memory performance, 4700 rpm ? Not sure any cooler can go above 3k. Think you need to check the fan connection make sure it's spinning when you turn pc on

4. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Prety sure that's what he meant

5. ReD ÅLeRt

ReD ÅLeRt What's a Dremel?

My system is always much hotter in BIOS then when idle on the windows screen for a while. No idea why, but it has always been like that.

6. Diellur

Diellur What's a Dremel?

Both Intel and AMD chips have technology which lowers the CPU clock speed (at least, the newer ones do AFAIK) when the system is idling. However, this doesn't occur until Windows loads...when the system is loading up through the BIOS, the CPU is running at its maximum clock speed. Hence it'll be hotter in the BIOS until Windows loads and the PC starts to idle.

I'd double check the CPU cooler speeds with another program (HWMonitor, Speedfan, Coretemp). I'd also check that you mounted the heatsink correctly onto the CPU...it might not be sitting quite right.

7. alanw

alanw What's a Dremel?

Yeah I did all those things you mention. The bios now idles below 30C and thats with the stock cooler.

It's still not running games properly, only got a few and they either freeze up or run choppy apart from Dirt 3 which runs fine.

If anyone has the same problem, I fixed it by updating the bios, nice of them to sell the boards with a duff bios
    slack twats.