1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What Server OS do you use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fuganater, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I wanted to see what people are using for their server at home. Uses can be anything, mainly media, file, ftp, etc.

I'm really thinking about WHS because of drive expansion but I'm wondering if I should use 2008 instead.

2. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

I've used both.. and imo windows home server 2008 is better than the new 2011 version.
    With 2011 you have to assign drives to different hdds... where as in 2008 it would auto assign and just overflow to the new drive.
    I found it less buggy... and just quicker all round :)

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

At home, I've used WHS v1 and currently use WHS 2011 - the latter offers a lot more but I really wish they'd kept the drive extender technology in there. I've tried drive bender but it frightens the bejesus out of me sometimes as it loses the 'array'. The second time it did it was bad enough so I just stick to using a jbod raid now. 2011 for me is certainly a lot nippier - mine runs on a C2D-6750 with 4GB ram and has an Adaptec 1230sa running four 2.5" 1TB drives. The OS is on a Samsung F1 1TB and there are also seperate 2.5" 1TB and 750GB drives in a 3.5" bay.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a server at home running small business server 2003, and I also have another server at home running small business server 2011. But these are mainly for testing. My file/personal server at home actually runs linux!

5. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Personal Server/Web Server/File Server etc is running on CentOS. Been up and Running now for about 300 days without a hitch.

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

WHS v1 for main home server.

I also run a Server 2003 & Server 2008 boxes for testing and another 2008 R2 on a server in a data center.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation on the HP Micro Server - because it was bundled to it. And W7 Home Premium on the other box :D. Not really a server OS, but enough for file & media server for one user.

8. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

I use ubuntu and it's great. You can customise it in pretty much every imaginable way and more. Give it a try if you're in a position to do so :)

Sent from Bit-tech Android app

9. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

WHS1 at moment, but do have WHS 2011 but not installed it yet...

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I haven't got a physical server (yet), but I have run some virtual machines as temporary servers. All of them have run some variation of Linux, from MineOS+ for Minecraft to Ubuntu Server for the LAMP stack (Apache, MySQL, PHP). Linux runs so well in a server environment I would not even consider using Windows to 'serve'.

11. Fuganater

Its nice to see that people use many different OS' for servers. Some for apps and some for file servers. I guess WHS will be good enough for me since I won't be doing any apps.

12. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Been running Ubuntu Server 10.04 32-bit for a few weeks now in text-only mode on a very old XP box that became too sluggish to even start.

Using it as a Samba file server it runs just fine. It is surprisingly fast and works seamlessly with Ubuntu, Win 7, Vista and XP clients. So glad I never threw away the PC!

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Ubuntu 10.10 here, running as secondary PC (<3 Synergy+), File server, get_iplayer client and internal testing webserver.
    Runs an rsync backup of all data to an external drive every night, and an rsync through boxfs to my box.net account of all my photos every night(including automatic mounting/unmounting of the DAV share).
    It also plays host to an instance of Ubuntu server, which runs a webserver out to the internet.

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I've had a file server running Windows 2000 Server SP4 until fairly recently. The OS is more than a little dated, but it still gets the job done, and was running on a pretty low spec machine (IIRC 733Mhz P3 CPU and 768mb RAM)

Until fairly recently I have an XP box, W7 laptop and Vista laptop all using it on a domain based setup. The only problem I can think of would be applying GPOs to your home network - but for what I used it for, I didn't need to apply any.

As a side note, I was using it for file and print sharing - mainly to lighten the load on the laptops as they both had fairly small HDDs. (60gb on the W7 laptop, 80gb on the Vista laptop).

The only reason I've stopped using it is because I've moved house for a bit and don't really have the room to operate it. Once I move back to my own place, I'll be digging it out again, as it was solid as a rock

15. Fuganater

Well I really don't have alot of room for my new server but I'm going to find somewhere to show it off. I really wish I had room for a rack then I could buy a few cheap 2U servers and have a nice sandbox to play in. I really like Server 2003 and 2008.

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Using Linux in text mode, remote connection via putty for administration. Runs perfectly on my old Athlon 64.

17. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I'm running Ubuntu (vanilla), about to wipe that, throw on a debian based distro and throw openstack on top. playing with some cloud :D
    (going to run VM's for a webserver and a render server, sharing the load over multiple systems)

19. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I use Windows 2008 R2 Standard on my home server.

Mainly because I can get it from work and because I use Hyper-V.

20. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I've got Win 7 home premium on the box I call my server. I've got a fully licensed copy of 2008 r2 sitting there (provided by one of our MS partners for Dev purposes), but I'm terrified to install it without having everything backed up and running - everytime I do that I run out of time.

Going to do a few installs in VM's before I commit fully. I'm more interested in getting SQL server 2008 r2 X64 up and running and getting my skill up to date on that at the moment.