1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair 600T GREEN (Updated 11th december)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FiXeL, 13 Oct 2011.

1. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Cracking project, great read. A lot of work went into this.

2. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

Why thank you, and will do! :rock:

That side panel will be ok... And if not i have a few options to go with, but i sofar everything is going good. If i were you, check that place out... If i had the cash, i'd vistit! Speedball, supair or woodsball will not give the ultimate thrill of CQB (Close Quarters Battle) I've done it in former east germany on an old abandoned russian airbase, and just the pure thrill of knowing you have to clear a building with a squad knowing there could be someone, or a enemy squad in the next room waiting for you is just the ultimate high. (oh, and dont forget the ultimate pain from getting shot point blank with full auto paintballguns...) :worried:

And not done yet! Thank you, and i will have a few more updates to follow. :)

3. dubsjw

dubsjw What's a Dremel?

This is looking sweet!...Green is my favorite color. :)

4. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Awesome build, and Nice gun. I miss playing, I used to play a ton here but gave it up because of the cost. Now that I have a real job, I've just traded expensive hobbies.

5. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I've played in a similar field before, was so much fun :D having to check every corner too see if there is a dude, and then forgetting to check the corner where the dude actually is :wallbash: good fun!
    There is a paintball organization here that lets you choose where to play, and we have lots of abandoned building in fields, and then they take you there...also want to do that :thumb:

6. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

Did you tried playing pump only? Sure it's quite hard if everyone else uses electro's, but you can do it, and have tons of fun with just one or two bags of paint per day. I autotrigger the heck out of this thing, so i'm getting 2 bags per day... that is not that bad... But for the moment i'm done, love the game but i don't feel the love i had when i started 5 years ago... So i decided to take a break and see where it's at next year.

Great! in the netherlands things are getting organised eventually... When i started playing there were groups scattered all over the country that were doing things, but the last few years there are lots of events and competitions that are organised on a national level. I'm done with paintball for the while being, but the future is looking bright! I hope you will have the same expierence, the game makes alot of friends and much good times!

7. fractal arc modder

fractal arc modder What's a Dremel?

8. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Update!

Sorry, it has been long overdue but i'm making up with a long and picture loaded update! Last update i was messing around with a highflow casebadge, and and old PCI bracket.. Well this was what it was for:

[​IMG]

To show the badge trough the reservoir. Looks pretty cool but pictures don't do it justice.

[​IMG]

Also cut the 2mm acrylic for the window. Still have to round off the corners, but we'll get there.

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly, the led strips had to be cut and soldered, so lets get busy!

[​IMG]

My private stash of fan connectors and soviet star emblems used in a paintball related mod.

[​IMG]

Also bent a strip of aluminum for lighting, it did not turn out as i hoped, so it was scrapped.

[​IMG]

Also time to think about accessories... How about a green MX518 mouse? I had an old MX500 in the parts box, and with a little luck, the parts are interchangable. BTW, a optical mouse sure gets funky on the inside after 5 years of use.... :eeek:

[​IMG]

Also treated myself to a nice toslink cable to hook up to my Marantz NR1601 receiver. My old system used coax for digital audio, and RGB for the video to my TV. Now Toslink and HDMI. :clap:

[​IMG]

That means this ghetto piece of crap is out of the case!

[​IMG]

Also it was about time to get the left side panel in order. After much filing and sanding i primed the panel and applied a coat of matte white for the base.

[​IMG]

Now here's a real trick... How to paint the backside when the front is painted perfectly? I had to hang it on a copper wire, and painted the back of the panel. There was only a little paint dust on the front, so it turned out pretty damn well.

[​IMG]

In between paint jobs, it was time to tackle the little problem of switching the lighting. I wanted a clean case, so no buttons, dohickies or whatever in sight. I decided to mod a switch inside one of the sidepanel's latches.

[​IMG]

It needed a bit of modification though, but the switch fits perfectly.

[​IMG]

And glued into place... The old wires from the baybus it once recided in are still there.. Well that's gonna change for sure.

[​IMG]

But first the switch needs a little coat of black, to blend in with the latch. There's some green on there too, but its spray powder from painting the side panel, so it didnt stick. (i forgot to get the switch out of the shed, prior to painting the side panel.)

[​IMG]

And soldering some new wires....

[​IMG]

Also the 50mm fan that cools the motherboard needed an overhaul... I've painted the tips of the blades yellow for that mil-spec look, but that will not flow with the build sofar. Also there is a noticable buildup of green dust on the back of the blades... Hmm.... Where did that come from? :D

[​IMG]

Well the color can be fixed with a little enamel....

[​IMG]

But i'm not totally sathisfied with the result... I've bought an extra fan and will be painting that one, and this one will serve as a spare.

[​IMG]

FiXeL's ghetto way of glueing a window into a curved side panel. :naughty:

[​IMG]

After the glue cured, it was time to install the lighting. Unfortunatly i had to make do with a few different led strips, but the final result will be hardly visible, so no biggy.

[​IMG]

I've used some green, and UV led strips, and the result looks not bad at all.

[​IMG]

My digicam sure sucks taking pictures in low light conditions, and it took about 20 pictures to get a few acceptable pictures. This is with green and UV leds on...

[​IMG]

And this with only UV leds on.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to finish up the rear radiator. I did not like the looks of it being bare, so i bought this bitspower fan grill. Looks real nice, but the acrylic frame bends out of shape when tightening the screws, and the mesh edges are visible at the back. This is not acceptable.

[​IMG]

So i've used the CNC mill at work to make a new frame out of aluminum. Its 2mm wider, so the mesh grill can be recessed into the frame. All nice and radiussed. Also made a big mistake during the manufacturing, this is done in between jobs, and somehow i forgot to set the length of the 4mm drill while setting up the machine... Somehow drilling in rapid traverse does not go that well... :wallbash: Well, after this little oops, i skipped the drilling and continued to round off the edges with a concave mill radius 1mm. The holes i can drill at home with the drill press...

[​IMG]

The backside still has a little bit of material to remove.. This was because the workpiece was impossible to clamp due to it's fragile structure. This is how i worked: I've used a workpiece of 130x130x15mm and first did a slight surface mill, to get a true surface. Then i milled an island of 70x70x5mm high in the middle of the workpiece, to clamp it for the rear side. So the front of the panel is located at Z-5.0mm. Then i milled the outside contour 10mm deep, and the inside contour 8,1mm deep. Then drilled the centerholes chamfering them in one go for countersunk M4 screws, and punched.. erm attempted to drill.. and rounded off the outer and inner contour.

Then i reversed the workpiece, clamping on the island i milled. Setting datum and milling the frame to 4mm thickness. Then i milled the recess for the mesh grill, and while doing so freed the frame from the remaining material.

[​IMG]

Back at home it was time to deburr, and to use my trusty dremel to get rid of the remaining material.

[​IMG]

I've needed a file to finish up things, and at work we had just the thing. I don't know what these files are called in english, but we call them "riffelfiles" They are curved so you can get into impossible corners with them.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to get out the tin snips and cut the grill so it would fit into the new frame...

[​IMG]

Perfect. :) Only thing left is painting.

[​IMG]

And this is how it looks after painting, and mounting. Sure blends in with the top and front mesh grills!

[​IMG]

And no bent frame, no mesh visible on the rear of the frame, mission accomplished! :clap:

I still have to do some minor things to finish this build, but we're almost there! Thanks for watching, and stay tuned!

9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

it all looks great: The UV, the lighting, the GREENESS :thumb: good job on the radgrill, fits right in....

Next step: Buy an awesome camera :p

10. Siskods9

Siskods9 What's a Dremel?

Simply amazing.

11. akibro

akibro hmmm....

I have successfully used products from Decalpro FX to create custom dry rub decals for this in the past. you can decal anything you can print :thumb:

It may seem a little pricey, but it is well worth the cost and effort. I have used it extensively on RC cars and models and a little on some modding projects, with a layer of clear coat they are super strong and look completely legit.

keep up the good work!

Last edited: 11 Oct 2012