1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 PS3 plays PS1 games what controller do you use?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Soniclord, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine recently found out he can play ps1 games on his ps3, trouble is he can't lol!

His dual shock 3 controller just doesn't do anything when he puts a ps1 game into the ps3..

So he's asked me to try and find out what controller he'd need or can he get an adapter or something so he can play the ps1 games with the dual shock 3 controller.

Anyone done this before?

Cheers.

2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic What's a Dremel?

The dualshock 3 works just fine with ps1 games. What is he trying to play, and what do you mean it doesn't do anything? Can he start the game ok? If you push the PS button whilst inside the game, there are a few controller options you can play around with.

3. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Hes very lucky to be able to play the discs at all. I've had a few PS3s and none of them were able to play PS1 or PS2 games :( What model does he have?

4. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Check that the controller config on the ps menu.

5. Soniclord

Well his game starts but when it comes to moving up and down the menus etc it doesn't work, nothing happens with the d-pad or the other 2 circular sticks (I don't know what there called lol) it just doesn't move up and down the menus so he presses the ps button and exits the game.

The game in question is Fear Effect 2, maybe it's 1 of the ps1 games not fully compatible with the ps3?

It's the 160gb ps3 slim.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ps1 disc games worked fine with my 40GB Phat and 120gb slim using the sixaxis or dualshock 3.

If he presses the playstation button, can he go into the options and configure the controller?

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Are you ensuring to turn the controller on when entering into the PS1 game? Keep in mind that the PS3 - for whatever reason - turns the controllers off when it boots up an older game like that, so they must be turned on to work. Aside from this I can only echo the above: there are no specific controllers for backwards compatibility on the PS3.

8. Destructive

Destructive What's a Dremel?

I will echo the controller options suggestion. Particularly an analogue or digital option if it is there, this often needed changed on the ps2 to play ps1 games, and I think I remember seeing the option in the ps3 menu.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

also try connected the controller via the cable, not sure it's necessary but it could help.

also, all PS3's should play PS1 games, and the 60gb and 80gb release versions can play ps2 games (via actual ps2 hardware and emulation respectively)

10. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Don't forget that the PS1 didn't have any analogue controls until 3 years after release. Is it possible that it works fine but he's being trying to use the sticks instead of the d-pad? ;)

P.S. All PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 titles but only the original release ones are compatible with PS2. A point which pisses me off royally, all it would take is a simple update to allow the slims to be PS2 compatible but with the PS2 still being one of the biggest selling consoles on the planet (yes, even now) they just wont. Even if they released it as optional with a price tag of £30 they would make an absolute killing overnight I believe.

Sorry, slight OT rant but I MISS PLAYING ICO AND MY PS2 DIED YEARS AGO :waah:

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
  11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

sorry about the OT but I just tried it for the first time with the original Driver and it works, haha

I have no idea why I never thought of trying that before :hehe:

12. Soniclord

Just spotted these other replies. Thanks.

He can go into the options I believe. Will let him know and see how he gets on.

Cheers.

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Don't think it's been emntioned so I'll throw it in. When in controller settings, make sure it's not set as controller 2 or something stupid. Some of my games did that to me lol