1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Acer Laptop sometimes boots, sometimes won't

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by david.howkins, 10 Dec 2011.

1. david.howkins

david.howkins What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I wonder anyone can advise where I look for a solution to this problem with a friends Acer Aspire 5750 laptop?

Apparently he was encountering BSOD's (Wn 7 64 bit) and for whatever reason decided to do a complete system restore to factory settings from the set of backup DVD's that PC World created fr him when he bought the machine.

When he tried to do the restore it would fil and halt on disk 2 of 4 with an 'I/O' error. He passed the machine to me to have a try.

I tried to do the restore twice and each time it failed on the same error.

I happened to have a brand new unused 500 GB Samsung 2.5" drive (same size as the WD one in the laptop), so thought I would try with this drive.

I put the drive in the laptop - ran the restore DVD and the whole restore completed without error.

I then spent the next couple of hours whilst the Acer installled and configured the various apps that it installs as part of the build I guess.

I then downloaded all the Windows 7 updates that were waiting to come down inc SP1.

I was able to return the machine to him in a working state ready for use.

Within an hour he bought it back - 'It won't boot up' he says.

Of course when I booted it up, it started without any problem - straight into Win 7

Having had the machine for a few days now I've discovered it will boot up about 50-60% of the time. The rest of the time it shows the Acer screen - the hard drive light stays on (no flickering) and on a blank black screen it says 'A Disk Read Error Occurred', Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart'

Restarting may cause it to start OK and go straight into Windows (no pause to say it failed previousley - coz it didn't) or it might come up with the error again.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency - sometimes it will restart into Windows 20 times in a row and then fail to start 8 times, then start into Windows 2 times, followed by not starting 6 times and so on.

I've tried resetting BIOS to defaults, running with the battery out.

I even put the olde disk back in and tried the restore again, but it failed again at the same point.

I don't really know where to turn now - does it sound like a cable connection problem on the motherboard or the motherboard itself? Should it go back to Acer/PC World?.

--
    Regards

David

2. alanhannah

alanhannah What's a Dremel?

I too have faced the same problem when using my Acer Laptop. I am using Sony Vaio Now.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If it's in warranty, send it back. Definitely a hardware fault somewhere by the looks of it. You could always run memtest on it to check the memory.

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

My Acer had problems booting but I never got any messages, it just hung on the Acer splash screen.

I updated the BIOS and all was well again, it was a common problem for my laptop. Get on the Acer site and see if there's a newer BIOS available.

5. buchanan0204

buchanan0204 What's a Dremel?

That's like going from a punto to a ferrari... Wise choice!

6. Xcellente

Xcellente What's a Dremel?

yeah but what if the acer had an i7 and the vaio only had a celeron

7. buchanan0204

buchanan0204 What's a Dremel?

An i7 isn't much use if it doesn't power up :p I see Acer laptops every week that are dead as a dodo. Absolute rubbish!