1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin unveils plans for mobile masts at home

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Dec 2011.

1. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I have used wifi once, maybe twice in my entire life. And I am rarely off the internet.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The wifi from the superhub is rubbish. Yes the recent(ish) update helped, but it didn't fix the problem, it just means we have to reset the router every couple of weeks rather than ever couple of days. And still I can barely get reception outside of the room that the 'super'hub is in.

Fortunately we're using Cat6 throughout the house, so it's only the odd phone that needs the wireless (otherwise I'd have it in modem mode already.)

3. dillingerdan

dillingerdan What's a Dremel?

I don't quite understand this strategy either. Is it to host a semi public "hot-spot" for customers near you, using the rest of your available bandwidth?

This is turning my scalp to dust...

I personally connect to "Wi-Fi" because with updates and what-not for the "apps", would kill my mobile data allowance (which the Hotmail app managed all on its own 2 months ago). Plus its not choosing a connection between "E", "G", "3G" or "H" which seems to require renegotiating with the tower every time it switches between them... Meaning a more stable connection.

I first thought this might mean they would install some professional wifi gear into your home to connect to, but I don't really get the type of connection this is offering. If it's to repeat the signal and open their network to more people with better coverage, surely those persons should be getting a discount?

Now I personally have no knowledge of Virgin equipment since they offer no services in my area, but surely if you replace the router with a more reliable and reputable make you'll get better quality wifi anyway? It's what I do. I use Sky, and have replaced their router with my own modem/cable router combo, which provides a great stable connection, and coverage well into the garden (and almost 4 houses up the road is when it'll pick up the signal on my phone). Linksys E4200 if anyone wants to know. ;)

4. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

"Fortunately we're using Cat6 throughout the house, so it's only the odd phone that needs the wireless"

Same for me, I would plug another Cat7 into my cell phone when at home if I could. Wireless can never compete with wired tech in performance, security or reliability. I can see for public spaces where you may use wireless but the benefits of a physical connection will always outweigh until we can get quantum entangled technology.

5. Zooloo

Zooloo What's a Dremel?

6. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

not sure where this 99% statistic of VM superhubs having fixed their wireless issues. Ours had a firmware update and I can tell you now, I am still having issues. Worst hub I ever used when its having issues. Re: using the 4g network, nice idea :)

Tags: Add Tags