1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bonsai Tree

Discussion in 'General' started by DevilsShooter, 16 Dec 2011.

1. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

So was my partners birthday the other day and I had a bright idea of getting her a bonsai tree with the idea of "yea itll give her something to look after and take care of and if she looks after it properly itll last years"

Not one of my best ideas, I bought a grow your own kit not realising the work involved. Theres me thinking it would be nice and simple just germinate the seeds and then go from there but after reading the manual for a good 30mins I started getting abit worried at the amount of care and techniques used in the "engrish" manual. Just wondered if anyone on here has or have grown any of these miniature trees? She's got a Canadian Maple Tree and a Colarado Blue Spruce. Any hints and tips would be greatly received (by me) as then if asked by her just roll off the edge of my tongue lots of information I know about them so I dont feel to much of a donkey, cheers.

2. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

im having a bonsai tree for xmas of my mother, im going to get some books from the libary and see what i can find out

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

In my and my friends experience they die very easily :/

4. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

it all depends on what breed of tree you have

5. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Well ive got 8 seeds in both packs and the guide says to germinate them all but im confused what to do as i dont want to have to clear up window sills for 16 trees lol. Also guide says some seeds need boiled in water for 12 hours and then sand the hard coat shell lightly before putting in propagator but seeds already in soil in packaging. Am confused if these seeds need that as there cold weather bonsai trees and the guide "kind" of tells me just to put some warm water in a dish and let them soak it up and leave for a few weeks. The guide is poorly written and seems a jumble of information as germination page has info on how to shape also.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

One of the most important things to remember when beginning the art of Bonsai is that you are trying to grow a miniature tree. In light of that fact, the most successful trees are kept outside, or in a place that offers a close approximation of what a tree would experience outside (e.g. a greenhouse). If your trees keep dieing then it's most likely due to improper conditions - bad soil, improper pot, not enough water or sunlight or both.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

We've got a Bonsai thread believe it or not! Myself and a few other members grow bonsai trees.

Linky