I5-750 processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramon Suey, 16 Dec 2011.

1. Ramon Suey

Ramon Suey What's a Dremel?

Help please, I have exhausted possibilities. The processor is running slow 133.12 X 9 most of the time (according to Core Temp). I have cleaned the cooler (Arctic Freezer Pro 7) checked it for movement. Checked my BIOS. 58C is the hottest it reach according to Core Temp. My computer is fine on MS Office and Internet, but Dragon Age 2 runs slow motion (isabela is a sight to behold in slo-mo). Any ideas - could the processor have become faulty - we had a number of power cuts just before the problem. :miffed:

2. Kaze3

Kaze3 What's a Dremel?

Could you tell us the rest of your system specs? How was Dragon Age running before, and have you checked whether you're seeing the same behaviour in any other games?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It would seem it's stuck in a throttled mode. Does it not ramp up at all when udner load? Should be able to use Core Temp to get that reading.

4. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

its got to be worth running Prime 95 just to see if it ramps up the speed

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

How have you come to that conclusion before he has told you the graphics card :?

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

oh power cuts then issues? I would reset the cmos first thing and see if you still have any issues.. then reapply whatever overclock

7. Ramon Suey

THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS FOR YOUR HELP

I'm new today to the forum - impressed by the level of activity and replies.

The system which I built in Nov 2009 (reading Custom PC from issue 1 - took time to pluck up courage to self-build - glad I did though) is

Antec Three Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower New Modular 650W Power Supply
    Antec Easy Sata 5.25" Internal Hot Swap Hard Drive Caddy
    G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII NCQ 500GB 16Mb Cache Hard Drive
    Corsair P60 SSD (recent upgrade)
    Optiarc AD-7240S (just gone belly up today - it won't eject - fortunately a replacement is dirt cheap)
    120mm Sharkoon 1000 "Golf Ball" Quiet 19 dB(A) Case Fan
    MSI P55M-GD45 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    VTX3D ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort, PCI-E
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro Rev.2.

Dragon Age 2 run notably faster. Trouble is I have the game full screen (1920 X 1280) - I will try in a window so I can see what's happening in Core Temp.

I'm on my second run through the game and the graphics card coped without problem.

Tony Mounsey
    (aka Ramon Suey)

8. Ramon Suey

Hi thehippoz, It doesn't appear stuck in throttled mode Core Temp shows it climbing to x21 when running Dragon Age 2. Although the processor seems to be fully used (73% upwards). After running the game for a little under 1 hour, CPU Max Temp53°C (Core Temp) and GPU Max Temp 61°C (TechPowerUp GPU-Z) - so cool enough. No overclocking - I didn't dare when Custom PC reviewed my MSI P55-GD45 M/board, the VRMs went up in smoke. I bought my board before the review. Did clear CMOS - jumper obscured by Graphics Card which I had to remove. After resetting BIOS (no overclock) still the same.

9. Kaze3

Kaze3 What's a Dremel?

If it's only Dragon Age being affected by this problem then the most obvious potential cause would be the change of a game setting. Are you 100% certain that you're running exactly the same in-game settings that you were before? It's amazing how much one setting can affect performance so it might be worth double checking that.

Anther random thought: have you checked that both of your RAM modules are being picked up? One of them suddenly dieing might explain it (I'm clutching at straws a bit with that suggestion :p)