1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headphone upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 17 Dec 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

So my wife is letting me use my own money to buy myself a christmas present for me from her! I've spent fortunes on the pc but I think it is time to trade in the good old G35's for something racier (Incidentally Logitechs headphones are superb).

I'm looking at the AKG702 or HD598 being driven by my Asus STX Essence. Anyone got any experience with these and which might be better.

For me it is Gaming > Movies / Music

I especially want to improve the aural experience of BF3 and like the look of both these sets though also considering the ultrasone pro 900. Kinda hoping the noise leakage isn't too bad as I game at night in the lounge with the door closed (apartment bedroom is next to the door).

Anyway would value any advice on this.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2011
  2. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

No experience of the AKG brand myself, but from what I've heard they are very good. I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser 558's which I'm very happy with connected to an XFI Xtreme gamer (accidental ebay purhcase that sound card was) and a Fiio E9 I think it is head Phone Amp.

When I'm playing multiplayer I still use my Creative Fatality Headset.

3. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

hahaha marriage sounds awesome...:geek:

4. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

It's made more complicated when your wife is an avid gamer and tech freak! Already cost me an ipad 2 and collectors edition of SWTOR for christmas to placate her :p

I gotta say my G35 is excellent but I really wanted to make a move to more serious audio to find out what I'm missing. More than any field so far this one has me foxed as virtually every review is contradicted all by 'informed' sources.

I started on the HD598 then moved to looking at the DT990 / 600 but some reviews say the STX can drive it and some say not then others say the base is too strong and to opt for the DT880 / 600.
    I considered the AKG702 but it is apparently not as comfortable as the Beyerdynamics but has excellent clarity. Then you have the ultrasones with awesome base but is that enough?

I see alot of things like hot, bright, recessed which sounds to me like I'm ordering off an a la carte menu :p Tried posting on head fi but it is very confusing and tbh I just want the best audio within a £300 price range for the STX that will optimise the audio experience in BF3 and give me some new life in music and movies.

Atm I'm tempted to just say screw it and get the DT880 / 600 and hope for the best.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Like in My sig I use AKG 271 MK II and they are very nice cans.
    The AKGs are known to last for years too. Sennheiser I havent used except for entry level so cant comment really on them except to say I have seen some good reviews.

Edit:

I'm in same boat, my better half allowed me to get my self a Galaxy Note :D

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have HD 595. Very good for music and I guess gaming but I prefer surround speakers. No headphones or CMSS gimmick produce real positional audio, just greater spaciousness so really you should just go for headphones good enough for music. I've heard the G35's are pretty crap compared to music headphones like the HD and the 3d is of course totally fake.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

@ Feathers I have to disagree with you on positional audio. In all the modern games I play with my Sound card and Cans I can hear if something is in any of the 4 positions. front, back, right or left. I guess it depends on the game /sound card though. In BF3 its quite clear where things are coming from.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

All in your mind unfortunately. Current positional audio delivered over headphones can't project sound in front. You will only ever hear sound apparently behind, left or right. Soundcard being XFI Titanium crap with CMSS before it was ditched for Auzentech. I live in hope that one day a pair of headphones will provide accurate positional audio. The latest coolermaster 5.1 headphones are getting good reviews but I've tried other 5.1 headphones with good reviews and found the positional audio non-existent (Roccat Kave or Zalman anyone?).

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I know a friend who's got a set of Tritton PC51u headphones, apparently they can project sound very well, although you have to tune the sound a bit with them, otherwise the subwoofer in there will drown out everything else.

Those things are actual 5.1 headphones, too. None of that Digital Audio in or Dobly Surround crap. Four actual 3.5mm jacks and a USB port to run the miniature in-line amp off.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The Roccat Kave 5.1 were very nice build and looked great. Sonically quite pleasant but the surround was a total gimmick. 3 drivers in each in a triangle configuration.

I was interested in the Triton's but never got around to hearing. I'd like to try them as well as the new coolermaster.

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Don't get a 5.1 surround sound headset they are so bad! I have a pair of Tritton ax pro's which cost £130 and there is no difference to the projected sound compared to the JVC RX-700 which cost £30. The JVC are better in every way, better sound quality, more comfortable and better made. You also don't need an extra plug.

To get good sound projection you just need to get a proper set of headphones which have a big sound stage. The audio technica AD700 are the best gaming headphones for £100 by a long way.

14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

i'd recommend using a headphone amp as well!

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think the bottom line is... If you want true 5.1 surround then use speakers. If you don't mind non-accurate positioning (i.e. no sound in front of you just greater spacial effects then headphones).

I have Logitech X-540 speakers. I was shocked how good they sound with music and of course they beat any headphones for realistic positional audio.

16. Katty123

Katty123 What's a Dremel?

What a good wife you have))
    Personally I don't have experience with AKG but do with sennheiser. I'm currently using PC136 usb headset and quite satisfied with it:rock: