1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics All in one upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Exangels, 20 Dec 2011.

1. Exangels

Exangels What's a Dremel?

My friend has a inspiron one 19t All in one and she wants to upgrade it so games are actually playable.
    Specs are
    Intel Celeron E1500 2.20ghz
    3.00gb Ram
    4500 GMA

Is it possible to add a graphics card or change the specs at all?

2. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Upgrades all depends on the motherboard. Any idea what model it is?

3. Exangels

4. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I'm going to say; No.

You might as well treat that PC as a laptop in terms of upgradeablity. i.e. the RAM can be changed and maybe the hard drive but that's it.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not worth upgrading that. It may be possible to add a decent graphics card, but you'll have to open it up and see if there's a spare PCI-E slot, but that processor needs replacing too, and unless you can find out for sure, it may be risky buying something that the motherboard may not support. It looks like it's socket 775, but Dell aren't giving much away in that web page you linked to. Socket 775 is a dead end now, and it's actually getting hard to buy a CPU for it that's not just a slight Celeron upgrade to what you have already.

IMO.. not worth upgrading. Build a cheap gaming rig built around 1155 and a i5 if I were you.

Does she have a monitor? If so, what resolution is it? That's important.

6. Exangels

Thanks guys
    I Didnt think it could be upgraded but it was worth a try.

7. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Best thing she can do is scrap it but keep the DVD drive and the HDD (assuming she is on a tight budget)
    Then buy a new core:

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/38654ea67e714bb8b6a575d2e9c34a5b

The AMD RANA CPU is fantastic budget gaming CPU - 3 cores is more than many games can use and it performs very, very well.
    The mother board is an AM3+ socket which means upgrading to an even more powerful CPU down the line is easily done. Though if on really tight budget you could save money by going with an older board

The PSU is decent quality and with plenty of power. I have included this as I would assume the current one is not very good or powerful.

The case looks decent at a fair price, but if you or anyone you know has a case lying around then an will do the job.

For RAM you can buy 8gb at a bargain price:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/275166-crucia...600mhz-memory-kit-cl10-1-5v-bl2kit51264ba160a

For the GPU I would go to the Marketplace here and ask people if they have any old ones for sale. Anything like an AMD 4850, 4870, GTX 260, GTX 280 would be great and are usually available for about £50ish which is a bargain for a card that still has plenty of life in it.

Total: £225 + £25 (RAM) + £50 GPU = £300

For a system that can play all the modern games, many on high, some extreme games would require a lower setting.

Money could still be saved by asking the boys and girls at the marketplace first - I am sure they would have a case at a decent price, possibly even the CPU and a motherboard to go with it and I am sure either a PSU for less or a better one for the same price.