1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

I need a new pc for this game. what could you recommend

2. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Well from what I read/hear its not the most demanding game so you shouldn't need to spend too much money.

Might be best to post on the hardware section making sure you say what your needs and budget are. Also your current system so they can tell if and parts can be reused.

3. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Picking up my CE today when I leave work. Just in time for my toon to be riding his Speeder. I don't normally buy CE, but I've been following this game since announcement, and so far I feel Bioware/TOR is worth the goodies personally. I don't look forward to the queues though. Hopefully the influx of toons today will funnel towards the new servers being added.

4. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

I had a very quick go at lunch for an hour and there is lots of new servers all with low population. The longest queue time I saw on the full servers was 30 mins so it's looking not too bad

5. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

I've been playing since Friday in the UK and haven't queued once yet, hopefully they'll add enough servers to keep that so. I can see there being a high influx of players today!

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm tempted to try this but I ain't payin the best part of 40 quid, especially before there's any real indication of what the end game is like and what the update frequency/quality is going to be like.

7. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

None of the new launch day players seem to e going to the new launch servers like Bioware hoped, they're all flocking to the already full servers.

Mine has had a 2hr+ estimated queue since 2pm, currently on 2hr40min, but in reality it's 6-7hours waiting.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

My server is still OK, I just hope it stays that way.

9. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Guess we will be seeing free character migrations soon then!

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: Bioware needs to really take into consideration server locks to curb this. It sucks for those who may be trying to roll on the same server as their guild, but now they are adversly affecting everyone else by flocking to the high population servers. I know in a few weeks it will all smooth out, but it still sucks that people are waiting half a day or longer to get into a server right now.

11. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Anyone know when this will be available to buy on origin? It just says out of stock, how is a digital download out of stock though!?!

12. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

They've said they won't lock servers, but have keep low caps on at the moment to try spread people over servers. Still hasn't worked out to plan really, some people have given up trying to get on the full servers and gone to the new launch servers, some of them are now on heavy.

I'm, struggling to decide what to do with my server. If I stay I have long queues and can't play much, if I play on my other server I have no queue and play all the time.

I've have the above before when Rift launched and chose to go on a non full server, which back fired very badly since after the first month it became a ghost town and stayed on low pop, before been turned into a trial server. I don't want that to happen again, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, since I can't see the future. :wallbash:

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

They're capping the number of people so they don't overload the servers.

However as you can tell from above posts, the issue isn't with overall population, just that they all crowd in one place.

14. el2k

el2k Modder

Rather than just server talk, what are people thinking of the game?

I'm only level 27 at the moment but I'm absolutely loving it.
    Playing a Sith Marauder.

The companion thing suits me down to the ground. I can PVP whilst i send my friend off to gather materials for me? UHHHH Thanks!!!!

If you are finding questing a bit of a struggle before 25.. when you get your speeder it really speeds things up believe it or not..

PVP is fun and although people are moaning about it a lot, I find it rather well balanced.

Share some feedback y0

15. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

yeah im loving it too. more of a pve man here and i love the way that there are all these group quests EVERYWHERE that force you into meeting people.... they are like mini-instances (some not so mini).
    One thing though is that i find tanking as a juggernaut tough at the moment; single point threat is fine but on groups you have to make sure your group knows what they are doing.

overall a much better game than i thought it would be a few betas ago, just wish i didnt have to go see the missus' family over christmas!!! One week less to play :(

16. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I have a Jedi Sage and Sith Sorcerer, both identical classes but wildly different in terms of story. I'm absolutely loving it so far.

I'm suffering a 35+ min queue when I log in but I've played MMO's long enough not to get my knickers in too much of a twist over it.

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

The game is fun. Questing so far (23 Sorcerer) has been nice and steady. Just when I thought I was done with Balmora Lachris stops me dead in my tracks.

I grouped with a sniper last night to finish two heroic quests and it was almost perfect synergy between myself, the sniper, and the AI companions. No problems at all dealing with multiple elites and champions.

I'm a bit dissapointed with the VIP section for those who purchased the CE and DD version. At the moment it offers nothing spectaluar (not stat wise, just item wise like maybe a better a color stone than the pre-order one I replaced shortly after leveling Artifice?) that can't be found else where.

Space Combat is fun too. Great way to wind down my play session, especially after a long stretch of missions or a flashpoint. I have not tried PvP yet, I intend to this weekend.

18. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I'm enjoying myself so far.

Didn't really follow the game or play any of the beta test phases so I know very little about the game.

So far it's got good gameplay, looks nice and seems to run well all round. No queues on the server I chose and ping seems consistent and reasonable. So far it feels quite single player gameish but really thats not a bad thing. I know it opens out after the second planet so that will be fun when they get there.

Got to level 10 as a trooper and chose to be a vanguard. My character looks like the the Heavy from TF2 or his twin. If only he had a matching accent it would be awesome. I'm not sure I'll stick to the trooper. Something about playing a Star Wars game and not having a light sabre is bothering me deep down but as each class has a different story leveling won't get boring for a while.

I might make a Jedi Consular or Knight tonight.

It's a good game but I have to agree the proof of the game will be in the end game content, the quality of the updates and all round scope of the game once max level has been reached.

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

People had complaints about that in beta.

The Assassin (and apparently the Powertech) get much nicer AoE abilities and as such, hold threat in a group much better.

I think the Assassin still has a good set for single target threat management since they're skillset is designed for mostly for single target damage anyways.

Ultimately like you said, as long as your group knows what they're doing (i.e. who to focus and to not spam AoE abilities) then the difference between the targets becomes less of an issue.

I've heard endgame that Jugs do fine in Operations as main tanks (holding the boss) and the Assassins can perform off-tanking duties, mopping up any spare mobs.

20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Just out of interest never ever played an MMO before but thinking about giving this ago. At around £40 for the game alone and then subscription its quite pricey. Do you get anytime with the game or straight away do you need to invest into a subscription? Trying to justify the price to myself but its not happening..