Networks ADSL internal modem to Freeserve?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gorguruga, 3 Apr 2003.

1. Gorguruga

Gorguruga What's a Dremel?

I have this Billion internal modem and I'm having trouble in getting to connect to Freeserve Broadband.

Story so far:
    1. I have succesfully installed the modem, even though it only shows up as a Network Adaptor in Device Manager, I've managed to create a Dial-Up connection via PPPoE by downloading the software from here

I installed with the following settings:
    ADSL Line Type: G.DMT
    PVC_VCI: 38
    PVC_VPI: 0
    Protocol: RFC1483 Routed MUX-VC

2. The modem monitor in the system tray flashes green and reads OPERATIONAL.

3. When I open the Dial-Up Networking and try to connect via the the Billion ADSL card, it requests a telephone number.

4. I called Freeserve and they told me to try entering either 0 or P0,38 - neither of these worked. That's as far as they could help me, their "tech support" are a bunch of ********. Sorry, had to vent, believe me I could go on.. :)

Ok, that's pretty much it.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know.. oh, btw the machine isn't here so I can't test out suggestions till Sunday. I'm hoping there'll be a whole lot of them by then! :)

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The uk uses PPPOA not PPPOE, that may be your problem. The site states it supports PPPOA, so it should just be a case of installing the normal drivers and creating a dail up account with your details. put any number you like in the connection as adsl doesn't actually use the number.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2003
  3. Gorguruga

I should have mentioned that when I tried installing the method for PPPoA wasn't available so I contacted the company that sold it and they said that connection via PPPoE is possible by downloading those drivers in the second link I gave.

4. Gorguruga

btw The company I bought it from suggested I contact Freeserve, which I did and got the response as mentioned above from tech support. The company can't seem to help me any further.

If anyone has time to help sort this out I have uploaded the user manual which can be downloaded here (1.85MB - Html format)

The relevant section is 3.2. Where it says configure the ADSL WAN Adaptor and Easy Dial-up these weren't available to select so I was forced to try the PPPoE method because of this.

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Don't you think it's unreasonable for freeserve monkeys to support equipment that they have never seen before get back to your hardware supplier if you are having problems. PPPOE will not work, no matter what the suppliers say.

6. Gorguruga

I emailed the suppliers about half hour ago asking this very question. They said before that connectivity is possible via PPPoE but I'll wait and see what they say this time. Reputable company with good customer support, I can get a refund no probs if it doesn't work.

As far asthe Freeserve monkeys, they'd have trouble peeling a banana.

Tags: