1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: G5 desk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by theoeyeo, 5 Jan 2012.

1. theoeyeo

theoeyeo What's a Dremel?

My first thread, first mod and it's a scratch build :).

I was intending to make a desk project but before starting a big one I thought I'd try a samller project first. Some extra limitations have been put on me though since planning the project and long story short it means I have to make it for no cost. I can only use stuff I have laying around, salvage, scrap etc. It's a project for my wife and has to meet her needs not mine so a powerful PC is not required. I have an old imac G5 2.0ghz machine that has a faulty screen which I will scavenge and hack to use as the computer. It still works fine plugged into an external monitor so I can use the motherboard, drives, etc and solder or use extensions plugs to access the other ports and such once it's in the sealed wooden desk.

The desk has to fit into a certain spot in our house therefore limiting the size. Luckily I found a piece of tempered glass I salvaged from an old TV cabinet and its roughly the right shape and size to fit into the corner spot so I decided to use this as the base.

The rest will be made out of some mdf I had left over and I'll reuse some metal bits and pieces and fans and stuff from other scrapped old pc's.

The glass:

[​IMG]

The glass will dictate the size and shape and so I tested the g5 to see if it would fit: fine.

[​IMG]

Stripping the G5:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now onto the mdf:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really need a saw table as doing the cuts by hand left me with some not straight lines and I will need to a fair bit of filing now. Also I haven't quite worked out yet how I'm going to do the angled edges so the sides will go together for me. :eyebrow:

At least the job has begun, stay tuned for more.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2012
  2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

month of desk-mods
    +5 builds!!!
    i gain more and more ideas for my own desk build
    *watching*

3. Atasimey

Atasimey What's a Dremel?

I like the challenge in this one. Tuning on. :thumb:

4. theoeyeo

:) been "thinking" about it for ages but now it's the flavour of te month (year!) to build d3sks I thought why not :D

5. theoeyeo

Having some trouble deciding what to do about the ports.

The dvd drive is a slot loader and has a specific apple connector to the motherboard so the easiest way to retain the drive is to mount the mthbd sideways in the case. But then I lose the ports (usb, firewire, etc) inside the case. I can use an extension cable for the usb into a small hub and cuta hoke and mount that. I can also probably do the same for the netwrok and perhaps the firewire, but it's a lot of hassle. I am now wondering if there's some way to cut the back casing if the G5 and reuse it to fabricate a cover, then I can stick the side of the mthboard out of the desk and have te pirts accessible. It might look crap though.
    [​IMG]

6. theoeyeo

sorry double post

7. theoeyeo

Minor update

Minor update:
    had to buy a torx tool as the Imac has a couple of torx screws in places I need to get undone. Most of the insides of the imac have been phillips head screws so far but I ran into a few torx and they defeated me. Quick trip to the shops and now they're history :D

[​IMG]

Working out the angles for the mitre cuts. This is proving a challenge.

[​IMG]

I tried the motherboard for size. The DVD drive is using a proprietary apple connector straiught to the board and this is going to cause me some hassle. The board just doen't fit and allow the drive to be accessed at the side. I can't re-wire it as it has no wires :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to have more of a think about it. I've decided to use the old motherboard mounting "tray" as my base for mounting the electrics inside the wood desk. This may allow me to mount it upside down which might get over the dvd drive trouble. Anyway it will need some trimming to size so it's dremel time :dremel:

I didn't even get to start and the cutting disk broke (has been on there for ages without use).

Chopped up.

[​IMG]

In hindsight, although fun, I probably should have just used a saw as it was steel and the dremel took ages to get through it.

Had a break and sealed and primed the edges of the MDF.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Tomorrow I will finish off the edges and start seriously trying to get the bits to fit together.

8. y01p0w3r3d

y01p0w3r3d What's a Dremel?

awesomness

9. logicmike

logicmike What's a Dremel?

Looks an interesting project- lots of head scratching trying to figure things out- watching

10. theoeyeo

sure is, and it seems to never end! I keep doing little things while hoping i come upbwith the solutions to the bigger things.

11. theoeyeo

againg trying to sort out where things go and not having a lot of success. There's stuff to be done though:
    What is this mystery piece of plastic near the case?
    [​IMG]

and why am i measuring and cutting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A harvested logo of course:
    [​IMG]

Apart from that i sealed and primed some pieces, cut a hole for the rear fan. More tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Looks good.

13. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

That apple logo realy made me laugh! Its realy a nice touch!

14. MaXimiZe_89

MaXimiZe_89 What's a Dremel?

Me too :lol:

15. theoeyeo

:D seemed a shame to waste it

16. theoeyeo

small update

Been busy, but managed to get a little done.
    [​IMG]

Still struggling with positioning. I am going to leave a side off and then fabricate a new panel out of some thin timber. It may look a little naff but i'll see how i go.

[​IMG]

Started to glue it up.

I broke my own rule and went out and bought some ikea legs.

[​IMG]

I didn't have any timber laying around that would do the job and the amount of time and effort didn't add up when i can get these nice legs for $20.

17. theoeyeo

18. theoeyeo

[​IMG]

started painting the interior and again testing fit and layout.

[​IMG]

i'm using some filler to cover up my bodgy joins :D

[​IMG]

fitting the fan

19. theoeyeo

got some more done

[​IMG]

i'm going to have to leace this side off and cut a shroud to shape so you can still access the dvd drive

[​IMG]

the painting begins

20. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

BLACK MAC?!?!?! it's blasphemy!!! :)