1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Media Streaming system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinfandel, 16 Jan 2012.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

So, I'm looking to build a PC for my room. I'm spec building a case for it. The key is quiet. It will be displayed on a 32" TV at 1920x1080. I don't want to use a discrete GPU but will be having a sound card.

The uses will be these and only these

Spotify
    BBC Iplayer/4od/love film/net flix etc.
    Streaming movies/TV from my server
    General web browsing.

It will be running on Ubuntu and will have just a single SSD running the whole thing.

The confusion lies in what CPU to go with. I'm not entirely sure that the G620/850 will cope with providing lovely enjoyable media frame rates at that resolution but then the FM1 seem a bit overkill.

I also need a uITX board with a PCI slot which might be tricky. I might have to go down a uATX route but we'll see.

Maybe one of the lower end F1s would be the best bet? A4 3400 or A6 3500 perhaps?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Ash

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'd be wondering about getting a black edition FM1 chip and undervolting/ underclocking it.
    Don't know really, you'd probably end up with the same power draw as a G620, not sure at all. :)

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Hmm I'm not sure. I'd only really consider under clocking if it were for something like a low power file server or an occasion when I had a CPU that was too powerful for the job I needed it for.

Since not many people seem to have an opinion, I'll just do as I please! Screw you guys!

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm using a llano setup for my media pc, streams media to the rest of the house.
    Running at stock, currently consumes 60-80W with a couple of drives, watercooling pump, 6 fans.

Would do what you needed without issue methinks :)

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Which one are you using dude?

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm using the 3870k, since I wanted it to be powerful enough to be able to play some games so I could use it as my LAN pc, rather than lugging my 800D around.

7. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

MINX amd 890 GX should be plenty for your needs. Just slap in the cheapest PII X2 you can find. II used that for a bit with ubuntu before switching to a gt520 for the hdmi output. Yes, that board doesn't have hdmi which is a bit of a bummer. But it's cheap.