1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Cannot access one site, from one specific browser

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mike_bio, 18 Jan 2012.

1. mike_bio

mike_bio What's a Dremel?

Hello, I have a minor problem accessing a website from my work PC and I would like to ask how I can resolve it.

I run Windows 2000 (I know...) and I use both Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 9.0 to access websites. I can visit any website, except gmail.com via Firefox! When I try to access gmail.com from Firefox, I get the error message
    "The connection has timed out. The server at accounts.google.com is taking too long to respond. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments."

gmail.com via IE 6.0 works fine. Any other website works fine in both browsers.
    The problem appeared out of the blue 3 days ago and it persists since then. There were no changes to the PC that I know of, that day.
    No other PC in out LAN has this problem, but they all run Windows XP.

My PC gets internet through the company's LAN, and we use a proxy. Proxy settings are set in Control Panel->Internet Settings, so they are the same for all browsers.

What I have tried until now:
    * Restarting the PC, clearing the cache, running ipconfig /flushdns.
    * Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox 8, 9 and 10.
    * Tried other browsers (Opera 10, Chrome) and they access gmail.com without problems.
    * Made sure all browsers use the same network proxy
    * Tried accessing gmail through other URL's like https://mail.google.com/ , ttp://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html , http://m.gmail.com
    All the above failed: firefox (8, 9, 10) stll cannot access gmail, all other broswers still can access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael.

2. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

Proxy settings in control panel only have effect in IE, not other browsers, so you may have to setup the proxy in Firefox as well. Although I imagine nothing would work in Firefox if the proxy wasn't already entered.

Check under Tools > Options > Advanced > Network to see what is entered

3. mike_bio

@moorsey: Thank you for you time. Firefox settings are indeed set to the same proxy as the one in Windows control panel. Still no luck, gmail.com does not load.

4. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

Very strange indeed!

I have no other suggestions I'm afraid, it would be odd for your company to block Gmail when using FF but not IE, but would be possible I suppose.

I have not tried this, but you could try and get some HTTP logging out of FF to see what is going on in the background.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/HTTP_Logging

Like I say, never tried this, but may be worth a shot, see if anything helpful comes out of it

5. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Hmm maybe set a host file pointing to the IP? Can you ping it? try updating JAVA/FLASH not sure it these will help but give it a go.use googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Try clearing your internet history see if that does the trick.

Turn off local firewall?

6. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Try creating and using a new firefox profile temporarily.

7. mike_bio

Local hosts file in windows is bypassed since we are using a proxy. Java/Flash is as updated as can be in Windows 2000. I am not allowed to change the dns server, due to restrictions by the IT department.
    Local firewall is off, internet history is cleared. Yes I can ping gmail.com.

Thanks for you time, though. Any other suggestions are welcome.

8. mike_bio

This did the trick! It worked, I could visit gmail.com from another profile, so it must have been something in the default profile folder. I uninstalled firefox, deleted the mozilla firefox profile folder in "documents and setting\user", re-installed firefox and now everything works.

Thank you very much.

9. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

No problem. Probably a rogue addon or an unusual setting, but glad it is working again!:thumb: