1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Are Corsair Hydro Coolers Rebadged CoolIT Models ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Itchy Rim, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Hi,

I read somewhere recently that the Corsair Hydro H70 and other Hydro models are made by CoolIT and just badged as Corsair or is it the other way round?

Seems like a possible saving by buying a CoolIT model without the fanboy badge of Corsair?

Itchy

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I think they're all made by Asetek. They make their own very good models, and I think they come in slightly cheaper, while performing very well, the reviews are on Bit Tech.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The Kid is right, they are made by Asetek.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Corsair/Antec/Zalman, all Asetek. I guess it may help lower the prices, but it sure doesn't make for interesting reviews.

5. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

i think it may be fair to assume that each of these companies as clients will probably require somewhat more or less attention regarding the quality of the products. Like all products regardless of which company its for will be a high standard but for corsair for example they may require a greater quality product for a bit more cash etc.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well they all come out as re-badged OEM products, so the quality will be no different between each company. You also need to remember that all of them are priced around the same.

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

actually it can...the q/a standards can be higher for certain companies over others ... corsair may require certain parts for their products, certain types of tubing for example, or on a psu, they require certain capacitors be used in their line...others may not require that...and that higher quality comes at a price premium...ever wonder why a seasonic-made xfx doesn't use the same fans/capacitors/have the same quality of soldering as the seasonic-made corsair units? and oh yeah, the corsair costs a bit more too...

8. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

this is true, I have heard of this before, companies will have their own little touches in there even though there is a set standard in place for all companies.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Asetek only made the old ones.. the H70 etc.

Look under partner products.

CoolIt make the new series.. 80 and 100.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

And the H60, basically all the square-ish ones.

11. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Indeed the Corsair Hydro Series coolers that have a square pump and a fan speed controller on the front are made by CoolIT, think I actually found this in the H100 review in Custom PC Issue 101.

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I have a CoolIT 240 which is essentially the same as a H100 without the on-board fan controller. While they do perform very similarly (they even come with the same fans) The tubing on the H100 does feel to be of a better quality.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

A quick question for those of using these self contained water coolers. What kind of effect do they have on GPU temps? I have a mATX case with an enormous heatsink so everything is pretty compact and CPU heatsink is very close to the GPU. I'm surmising that a self contained watercooler would free up space and eject the heat from CPU directly out the case potentially having benefits for the GPU?. Pic below.

[​IMG]

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

no thermal dynamics genius myself, but i'm sure you would be correct...that big hunk of metal definitely disrupts the airflow, so that could only improve things. keep in mind however that these coolers tend to recommend installing with the fans taking air externally and blowing over the radiator in to the case, so you will probably need to devise a scenario that will keep that warm air flowing continually in a fairly straight path out of the case as well...for some reason, bit didn't think to include gpu temps in their reviews of the h100 that i noticed...definitely no graphs...they did mention in the h80 that the gpu ran hotter on one or two of the test rigs than with other coolers installed...so something to think about

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No effect on GPU temps here... BUT.... removing the heatskink and fan from the CPU area can have a massive effect on VRM temps, as with a HSF there is some airflow around that region. With watercooling, there will be none. For this reason, I run my H100 pulling air INTO the case from the top so it flows over the VRMs. It has helped my OCing potential, and lowered VRM temps by 10 degrees.. and had little effect on CPU temps.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

IMO it depends... Looking at the picture by Baboon, I don't see how switching to WC would really change the situation? He would still have a fan in the same place and really the difference would be that there would no longer be a huge tower hiding the VRM-components?

Some coolers really do blow more air over the VRM, but in this case I'd say the WC wouldn't rise the temperatures.

17. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Exactly this set up for me too. Cool air sucked downwards into the radiator, cooling the coolant inside the H100, and then carries on into the rest of the case.

Its awesome so long as you can fit the beast into your case, most likely impossible with any mATX though.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

In my case (literally) I think Jipa is correct. The TJ08-E has a 180mm Air Penetrator fan at the front and the only obstruction I have between it and the heat sink/VRM area is a single hard drive. My heat sink is also running passively as I added a 120mm fan behind it to exhaust air from the case. My thinking is the heatsink is currently acting like a giant radiator inside the case. Reality is the changes would probably be minimal.