1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Case for server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buje, 25 Jan 2012.

1. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I need a new case for my home server that is also my htpc. I have a fractal R3 as my desktop case which I like because it is quiet and has lots of space for HDD expansions.

I am thinking of just getting another R3 but I thought that there might be cheaper ones available the suit my needs.

All I need from the case is for it to be really quiet and have lots of space for HDDs (thinking about eight bays). It doesn't need to look good as it sits behind my TV out of sight. I thought someone might know of a another case that fits my purpose where I am not paying for it to look good too.

Thanks!

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

i dont think you will get anything better then the fractal R3 especially as its quiet and holds a lot of HDD

3. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Fair enough, are there not any specific server cases? Or are they more expensive?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

There are server cases but they're generally fairly loud & expensive.

5. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Server specific cases are usually Rackmount, and noisy. You will probably want a 4U ATX version, as I assume you are running "standard" hardware, rather than server specific hardware (Standard being off the shelf, consumer hardware)..

Noise in a Datacentre is not really an issue, so the cases tend to have little or more commonly, no thought towards reducing it.

That said, if you really want one (and I don't think you do), I may be selling one. I have a price check thread up, and pictures will arrive later on.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

How many HDD's do you want it to hold? What size of motherboard do you have? Budget? Are looking for something small and discreet or big and flashy?

7. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info. My main concern is noise so it sounds like i don't want a server case at all.

The server is just made up from my old desktop so it is just a btx motherboard which I am going to switch for an ATX.

It will have 4 Hdds, but I want room to add more in the future.

Sounds like the R3 is probably the right idea.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I use R3 with 11 hard drives right now, with an option to add 2 more (8 drives in standard HDD bays, 2 drives are in top 5.25" bays, which can be later replaced by a 3x3.5" in 2x5.25" bay device, and one dual HDD holder tucked on bottom of the case next to the PSU) . You can't get anything better than R3 in that price range.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've had plenty of server cases from Norco, Habey, Ark, etc. Yes they come with crappy noisy fans, but there is nothing stopping them from being replaced with ones that don't sound like turbines. After you replace the fans they are quiet as anything.
    Many of them under $100 have 8-12 hdd mounts, and can get more expensive ones that come fitted with hotswaps.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Those cases are by definition loud, and not because of the fans. First, they usually do one of these two options :
    1) mount hard drives directly to the metal casing, which means higher noise due vibration of the metal structure
    2) mount hard drives in hot swap cages, which again, vibrate and make noise even in the best cases
    Compare that to the silicon mounts in R3.

Then you have the dampening material in R3.
    Then there is a fact that R3 emits minimal noise through front because of the door, but any rack case will emit sound towards front because they breath through the front of the case and don't have a door like R3 does.

In the end, noise level of R3 is much lower than noise level of any other option.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You're the one who has to live with it, so I wouldn't skimp for the sake of £20-30 and just get another R3.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I never had any that mount the drives 'directly to the casing' they always had a removable hdd cage with rubber washers. I never had a problem with hot swaps either since they were good ones and proper fit. They also were all thicker 1.5mm steel, which does not lend to vibration noise much.
    I usually get the cheap non hot swap ones in the $45-$65 range too.