1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to UK, looking for a job

Discussion in 'Serious' started by asphinx, 30 Jan 2012.

1. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Tibby, as I am more of a designer than a programmer, my skills are currently limited to the more web-based ones; XML, HTML, PHP, MySQL, CSS, ActionScript and such. Freelancing seems a bit too risky at the moment, but a 6 month contract for instance would give me plenty of time to prove my worth and/or find another job.

I will check out ELAN IT Recruitment later today, thanks.

Ryu_ookami, that's quite all right, just re-rail it once your done. :)

2. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

christ its no wonder the waiting lists for council properties and housing assocations are so long.

re-railed :)

3. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

If you are more interested in design work, you could consider a creative job in Marketing/Advertising?

My missus just got a job as an Account Manager in an Advertising agency in London, and she went through a lot of crap recruitment agents till she found one which was REALLY good!

They weren't pushy, really nice and personable, and went the extra mile.

They have a few design jobs listed on their site, but either way I would recommend getting in contact and explaining your situation and see if they would take you on to look for a job for you.

Link: http://www.majorplayers.co.uk/candidates/job-search/job-search-results.html?cs=94&r=true

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

That's very very different to any CV I've ever seen!

Never seen a QR Code or a huge photo of the applicant on a CV before... they've mostly just been text-based information - like dates/places, job titles & responsibilities on the persons employment and qualifications, non-formal skills etc.

Given I've only seen CV's for IT Support Roles before, is this type of CV the norm for creative/design jobs?

5. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Tibby, Oh definitely.. a creative job in Marketing/Advertising would be very exciting. I am currently (amongst other things) Marketing Manager / Designer at the company I work for and it's something I enjoy doing very much. I send MajorPlayers an email, it will be interesting to see their reply.

Atomic, Good different? Or bad different? :) I am unsure what the norm is for CV's within Creative/Design jobs as most I have ever seen are also text-based Word Documents. But in my mind, I wouldn't be much of a Creative Designer if I had a plain looking CV?

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Good luck bud, let us know how it goes.

In terms of your CV, it looks good, I think you should really make sure to include the URL to your website as it will do you a lot of credit.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's pretty cool, it'd certainly grab my attention compared to the normal 'word' ones.

There just doesn't seem much information on it... examples of work you've done (websites or print) or companies you've worked for, campaigns you've managed etc...

Don't take my word as gospel as I don't work in a Creative role at all, so don't really know what to expect from the industry. I just know from my days as a contractor that who you've worked for and your achievements does help get you noticed.

8. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

Firstly that is a disgraceful remark towards women and secondly a sweeping generalisation of the population of the uk who may or may not read the dailymail. :eyebrow:

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Rightmove link here.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. It is a disgraceful remark towards women; that was my point, and

2. As for Daily Mail mentality:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...jobs-created-year-went-foreign-nationals.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Britons-abandon-dreams-retirement-abroad.html

Let's assume that a tabloid panders to its readership. Its circulation is 2,050,132, making it the second most widely read tabloid after the Sun. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It's not normal to include a photo of yourself on a CV in the design industry, the ones that we do get with photos are generally skipped over.

12. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

longweight, well that's some interesting advice. Why do you skip those and what do you look for in your CV's?

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Generally it's not something that's done here, and looks a bit arrogant.

A CV is not to show that what you look like (unless you're a model or actor etc) it is to showcase your education, career and achievements - these are the things that are valuable to an employer.

14. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

your website is very laptop unfriendly? On my 1280x800 screen i cannot scroll down atall to see some content at the bottom. There's no scroll bar atall apart from the blog page? Very infuriating and if i was looking to employ someone that appears to be a gross oversight...

Also the showcase doesnt really give any detail...it just provides a picture making it hard to actually know what you did, what tehcnologies you used etc.

15. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Well, as it might seem, I have some rethinking to do. Many thanks to everyone's feedback so far. Now, I am going to rethink my CV (I don't want to come of as arrogant, only confidant) and also revise my website. Thank you aLtikal for confirming some suspicious I have had myself. It is indeed a gross oversight.

16. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

good luck nuff said

17. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

The website has been revised and should work significantly better now, as well as containing more detailed explanations of the various projects I have done.

http://fiinixdesign.eu/

And of course any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated, you have all been very helpful so far.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Home page, testimonials, and blog pages are all blank for me.

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Couple of things to add to all this. The 30 mile radius make sense to the point that rents will drop by about 30-40% in some cases, but it puts you with in a shortish train ride if you work in London.

As for CV's over here they tend to be quite basic but packed with info about experience and what you've been doing, both past and present. PM me your email if you want and I'll send you a copy of mine so you can see how basic I mean, but it's what they look for initially.

JBond likes this.
  20. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Get rid of the xbox live avatar thing. Having it on every page just suggests teenager rather than experienced professional.

Tags: