1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OC first timer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tribal Dragon, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

well I've got my new update (A7N8X - 2500+ barton - corsair twinx 512mb 2700LLPT) and it runs sooo sweet ;)

but since I got good quality parts, I thought about OCing :D

so here's the questions:

1- since I use the dual channel (1st and 3rd slots), I got a "perfermance memory timings" message during post but if I change the fsb or multipliers, the message doesn,t appear... is the dual channel still enable or changing the fsb/multipliers disable the dual channel?

I've tried to OC and seems like I max out at 2.22 ghz (12x 185 fsb) with vcore at 1.7v and ram at 1.9v (ram timmings 2-2-2-5). haven't test the stability but any higher than that make the system totally unstable. Lot of people claims to have a 200 fsb but i don't seem to be able to go that high.

2-Should I play a little with the timmings?
    3-How should I set the the ram frequency % (I've let it at 100%) ?
    4-should I put the vcore higher?
    5-Is the combination between the multipliers and the fsb right or should I put higher multiplier and lower fsb?

thx for your tips ;)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2003
  2. Tribal Dragon

bump ;)

I'm sure there's peole out here that can help me out, don't be so shy ;)

3. Cresco

Cresco What's a Dremel?

1) They will be stayed Dual channel as long as you keep them in "sync" mode... So you can just up the FSB and lower you multiplier as far as you wan't to... till you hit the wall:wallbash: :thumb:

So, tweaking your FSB or Multiplier will NOT disable Dual Channel!

2) Sometimes its better playing with your RAM timings than a MAX FSB with high (bad) timings, sometimes its the other way around...

I would recommend playing A LOT with your timings and FSB

3) Set it to "sync" mode!!! NOT 100 % !! SYNC!! Very important!

4) If you have a very good HS and a god fan or even water cooling i'll say YES go for it!! But please WATCH THE HEAT!!

5) well, in my system i can run at stable 205 FSB and a 12.5 multiplier = 2465 Mhz.
    But the point in OCing is to find a SWEET spot on your system balance! soo keep trying new combinations and benchmark, yes i know it takes a lot of time but it is worth it, trust me!!:thumb:

Hop my tips helped!!
    PLZ, post some benchmarks and pictures from WCPUID!

Happy OCing!!

4. I don't think the Bartons are good overclockers. So I don't know if you will be able to hit 200 fsb.Proof

5. Cresco

Cresco What's a Dremel?

Oh.. ****.. I thought you had a 2400+, well my bad..

Nope that's right the Barton core doesnt OC well, but maybe you will be able to get it around 2600+ with a extreme cooling

6. Tribal Dragon

so 2.22 ghz (12x 185 fsb) should be pretty much be the max I can get... I try to play with the settings a little to see if I can reach higher clockrate.

7. Tribal Dragon

Re: Re: OC first timer

I don't have that option... only 50% to 200% and "by spd". Is the last one is the right one?

also it wasn't THAT stable at 2200 (at 12x 185, a burn in bechmark made the system lock after a few minutes) so I drop the settings to 2160 (12x 180) and it's very stable now.

I'll try play with the settings later to see of I can have a little more of it;)

8. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

lol overclocking is so time consuming for me. I was playing with my 2.4B intel all day today and I cant find that "sweet" spot just yet.

But I think thats because of my heat problem, right now I am at 45c idle and about 60c load stock speeds.

I dont need the extra MHZ right now but I want to know how high this cpu can go, I got to 170FSB and everything loaded fine to windows but once I stared prime95 it failed after the second test. And I saw my temp shoot to 74c :jawdrop:

But it is fun, better then playing games for me ;). Watch your temps bud

9. Tribal Dragon

temps aren't a prob.... I got 38 before OC and 48 idle/51 full load with OC. I'm using a termalright ax7 wit AS3 so ;)

10. Cresco

Cresco What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Re: OC first timer

Have you the option "Auto" ??

Well, 2160 Mhz on a 2500+ is a pretty decent OC, but keep trying!

Are you thinking if buying a new HS+Fan?

11. Cresco

Cresco What's a Dremel?

That is pretty hot man, I recommend a new fan or HS or even both...

12. Tribal Dragon

yeah I have the "auto" setting

for now I'll keep my ax7. 51C isn't that high anyway but soon I'll get a new hts... maybe a slk900;)

edit: I've check other barton's frequency and I'm almost to the barton 3000+. so I think it's pretty decent up to now;) I'll try to play with the settings so I have about the same frequency as the 3000+ ;)

Last edited: 12 Apr 2003
  13. Cresco

Cresco What's a Dremel?

Keep it on "Auto" cuz that's just like "sync", you will get a lot better results when its on "Auto" than the other options!!

the SLK-900 ROX!!

Keep tweaking/OCing and post some resultes!!

Happy Tweaking/Ocing to you!!:thumb: