1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding MDPC sleeve or similar

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JamieElston, 17 Feb 2012.

1. JamieElston

JamieElston What's a Dremel?

I have seen on the MDPC that they are not taking orders, well not many order, for the time being.

Anybody know of a UK based shop which sells the same quality sleeve? Ive seen a few online shops but does the stuff look as good, or should I try and hold out for MDPC.

2. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Special tech and Kustom PC sleeve has done me well in the past

3. m0zes

m0zes What's a Dremel?

Jamie i've found Chilledpc to be excellent, their high density sleeve is of a comparable quality to mdpc sleeve. The heatshrink on the other hand is problematic, mdpc heatshrink is a 4:1 shrink ratio which makes it easier to work with and will give you a certain aesthetic when installed correctly. Chilledpc's 4:1 heatshrink is a glue lined variety which is just rubbish, the 3:1 is available with or without glue, but it's only available in lengths not the pre-cut pieces you can get from mdpc. The other thing to take into consideration is the colours you want, sticking with a black hd sleeve + 3:1 heatshrink will certainly make your life easier as mdpc do have the best selection of high density sleeve colours and associated heatshrink. Whether or not you should go with mdpc really depends on whether you can get what you need from other companies and the time frame you're working to.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2012
  4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Paracord is becoming quite popular, ive never used it but apparently its a bit more time consuming than sleeving, but you can get a huge range of colours.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've never found any sleeving of comparable quality to MDPC-X. ModSmart isn't bad and has a decent weave but it's a lot stiffer. The ModSmart 3mm size is very good for sleeving individual wires on a fan or for the Power/Reset button wires. I've tried the Chilled PC sleeve and found the weave too loose and it's very stiff.

I've recently started using Paracord and have hit a major problem. Bushcraft who stock a wide range are unable to supply a decent quality black. The other colours I've tried have been really good but the black is soft and fluffy compared to them and looks crap on cables. I made a point of buying from 2 different reels and both are poor.

With paracord a simple tool can really speed up sleeving.