1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Yoshi's Box - Next Gen! On Today!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gooey_GUI, 11 Apr 2003.

1. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Despite what we may think of him, I think we should refrain from accusing him of outright plagiarism without solid evidence. ;)

2. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

What a loser! The final picture of the HDD window is nothing like the rest of the pictures. They look very similar, but I will go so far as to say that... it isn't even the same brand/model HD!!! From what little I have seen on the net of HD mods, a lot of the newer HDs look pretty similar.

(this is besides the obvious difference in the cutting of the cover)

If you look at the final picture, you'll notice that the magnet block and the pivot point for the reading heads have three screws that look like they go through the cover. His is not like that at all.

I have to say that I haven't seen Yoshii on the show yet because I don't have any of the expensive cable channel packages (gotta have the broadband though!). But I am glad that I haven't when I do get to see the show. I mean, not having the time to do a through job for a tv show spot is one thing. Making it obvious to everyone, with a bit of common sense, that you ripped a picture from someone elses site, is another altogether.

I invite him to come in here and try to explain why there is such a big difference between his own work and that final picture. People doing that just cheese me off big time! /rantoff_sorry

Lates,
    Ryan B.

3. Corg8d

Corg8d What's a Dremel?

I would agree.

It's funny, I always thought that the modding community and forums like this were here for the support and sharing in ones modding adventure. You don't even know the guy or the circumstances surrounding his projects, and yet you go out of your way to literally decimate him.

How would you feel if every mod or question you presented was met with responses similar to the ones found in this thread?

Corg8d

4. kingkobra

kingkobra What's a Dremel?

Must be nice to have funding from a TV show to pay for your mods. I think I would pay a little more attention to detail though. You should watch the video, the Xbox drive didn't even work. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:clap: :clap:

5. Corg8d

Corg8d What's a Dremel?

I watched the show and know the X-Box didn't work. That still doen't justify the comments in this thread.

Corg8d

6. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

He had to completely rebuild everything just one week before the show.

Anything that exposes the world of modding to the public is better than nothing at all.

There is a world of beige out there.

I post happenings and links from all over, but bit-tech folks are a bit unkindly to other modders I see.

Going back to alt.comp.case-mods for awhile.

7. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Linear -

Maybe it was me who posted the link in the boards. I'll send you a cashier's check or paypal if you want.

gooey_gui@yahoo.com

P.S. Hard to give examples of good mods w/o pointing to them or to the sites that are likely to contain them.

8. Corg8d

Corg8d What's a Dremel?

I know how upset I would be if there was an overwhelming amount of people admiring my work. :rolleyes:

Corg8d

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

yeah, but when too many people admire it before your rady cant your site get taken down if you eceed your bandwidth? Obviously linear got charged extra. Heh... I still remember when linear got bit slashdotted with his invisible case.

10. Reflex

Reflex What's a Dremel?

i said prolly, thats not an outright accusation :clap:
    And if u r in the limelight u r bound to be criticised whether u like it or not.

11. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

just watched the video........ *sigh* i think this is a good example of someone who somewhat knows what they're doing, but not really, so to make up, they just throw money at it (ex: he had a $10000 projector in it). half the stuff in it didn't work, and most of it (gamecube, projector, etc.) was just sitting in there, so all he really did was make a multi-coloerd plexi box for it all to sit in

as for that hard drive mod, there's no way its the same hd. in the "progress" pictures, the 3 prongs or whatever are curving to the edge, but in the last picture (final pic), they're straight as can be.....

it's good that someone's exposin ppl. to modding, just wish it was someone better (me points to Zap and throws in a new smiley or 2 just because me can!! :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: )

12. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Except on these boards, where criticising the work of staffers is a cardinal sin, it seems.

13. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Yeah, its kinda like "ooooh I gots lots of money to burn. I'll whip up a big expensive toy and all the people who cant afford it will love it!"

and a 57cm cube is pretty darn big.

If hes gonna make these things, instead of just setting the things in a case lets see him take them apart, build cutom mounts for the parts and make it as compact as he can. Something that is still. That and both of his "boxx"s look kinda thrown together and messy and rushed (i know its been said before) Thats why I criticize him. It just seems that if youre going to put so much money into something, and put it on TV.. then you should put all the effort you can into making it look and work good. Yeah it sucks for im that he had to redo it. But he didnt have a backup plan? I know that if I were doing something for a TV show that I would have some kind of backup to cover myself incase somethingg happened to the case.

14. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

I know the chunky who's been eating these chunky's! :D

all I have to say is LOL to Bradford's comments!

Yoshi tries his best I suppose....but as it was said before, if you're in the limelight criticism is going to surround you. Especially
    if you aren't really really in touch with modding, and your projects are nationally televised!

Last edited: 12 Apr 2003
  15. linear

linear Minimodder

I guess I failed to include enough smilies or something on my original comment. I'm not seriously saying that he owes me 12 bucks.

As noted by a couple of posters, it would have been nice to know in advance, but there was no real harm done. I accept the full responsibility for may bandwidth usage--if the logs show something odd happening, I can easily enough pull down the images or whatever. It's not an issue.

Gooey_GUI, I think we're pretty community-oriented on this site overall (and mostly refrain from condescension). If there's blame to be had here, it probably should be allocated to me for not stepping in and taking moderator-like action on some of the more ridiculous posts that came later on in this thread.

So to recap:
    Is there a problem between me and Yoshi? No, I was just cracking wise.
    Is he a good modder? Everyone needs to do the best with what they have, and if your next mod is better than your last one, then that's the important thing.
    Did he do that HD mod himself? Almost certainly. There are dozens of legitimate reasons that those pics don't look entirely alike. Suggesting otherwise is pretty silly.
    Are the staff here open to criticism? Sure, bring it on, if it's about our work. If it's some sort of personal issue, I couldn't be less interested.

16. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

As far as his modifications being done in a rushed manner, that is probably due to the show's nature.
    But then again his modding spot is only once a week.

In the end he does get out the word about modding, and that helps us all.
    There are lots of new members latley, and some (me points to Bard) are doing an absolutly awsome job of modding, and posting questions for others.

I am happy that people here like my mods, but I say
    that Linear is the originol Mod God.
    I would say I am just getting up to his level.
    Remember I still have yet to see how good my Case building will be.
    /me, gets out the dremel... :dremel:

17. linear

linear Minimodder

Naw, I've been at it a while, but there were mod gods that came before me. (I'm not gonna name names, but most of them are still going strong.)

I do believe strongly in the community though, and I try to make sure that's where the emphasis remains. There's plenty of people who have tried to make a quick buck off modders and modding, but I'm not and never plan to be one of those. It's not about companies, it's about community, and bringing your skill to the community, asking and answering questions, showing off your work and getting better at what you do.

I think anyone who's been around here a while would probably either have heard me say it explicitly before, or just picked it up from my posting style, but it's not a money thing for me. (I don't generally spend big bucks on mods, and I'm sure as hell not making any.) But I guess I can see how my 12 bucks crack (intended to be ironic) would have gotten misconstrued when taken out of context.

18. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

19. linear

linear Minimodder

Yeah, that qualifies as original. Radical for its time. I got started about 6-8 months after that.

20. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Well Linear is the original mod god to me then.

I was modding years before I even knew there was a modding community, even before I KNEW what modding was!

-PC Air Conditioner using peltiers
    -A five fan three peltier Slot A Athlon Cooler (OCed to 750 from 500mhz)
    -Misc other stuff

But Bit-Tech took me into high gear as far as my projects were concerned.