1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Asus p5k-c DDR3 amounts.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prophet, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

So I have the mobo in title, Asus P5K-c, which takes both DDR2 and DDR3 ram. It does however mention that the max DDR3 Ram is 4Gb. Anyone know what happens if you were to put in 2x4Gb sticks totally 8Gb?

I have read elsewhere that similar mainboards from Gigabyte I think it was (Same chipset and DDR2/DDR3 support) have the same max of 4Gb in the manual however work fine with 8Gb installed. The reasoning for 4Gb(2x2) being that 4Gb single modules (for a 2x4 config) weren't around for testing when the boards were released.

Well, I was just interested in what's the worst that could happen. If I do chuck in say 8Gb of Vengeance 1600, Will it downclock to the boards max speed and work fine, will it just work at the boards max speed and see only 4Gb... Or will my house implode?!

Cheers,
    Proph.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

A pretty good guess would be that it won't work at all, mainly because it won't be able to read that amount of ram (4Gb sticks).

Prophet likes this.
  3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Whilst it's not a guaranty, a quick google search 'appears' to show someone using 8GB of DDR3 (sys specs here, from the OP) on your board...

...i guess you could ask him/her to be sure?

Prophet likes this.
  4. pibe81

pibe81 What's a Dremel?

Hi Prophet, from your signature here I can see you succeeded in P5KC usage with 2x4GB of vengeance ddr3 1600. I just tried it and my system (so BIOS says) is only seeing 4GB @1333.
    Could you please help me out and tell me if you are really using all 8 gigs and if you have used some special settings in BIOS?
    Thanks a lot mate

Pibe