1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam CD Keys & Russian VPN

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBlackSunshine, 1 Mar 2012.

1. TheBlackSunshine

TheBlackSunshine What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

So I'm not a CoD fan, but the free weekend made me kind of interested in the game. I'd like to go for it but I don't want to pay full whack £40. I found out about CD keys and am interested in them

So first up, has anyone had any experience with them? Any issues? I will be going with an established site which has been recommended to me, I'm more talking about the concept itself; can you get your Steam account blocked for this kind of thing?

Secondly, I am in the UK. Does it matter where I buy the Russian key from? E.g. if I buy a Russian/English language key from the US, set up a Russian VPN on my PC, it will activate just as if I bought that key from a UK retailer?

Thanks guys,
    Adam

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It's all well and good trying to find a cheap option for buying video games/keys etc

My advice would be to not risk buying from any site that you have never used before. There are plenty of scam sites out there that appear to sell you goods at low prices but usually end up ripping you off.

Unfortunately most legit places wont be selling the game at any major discount.

I checked a site I know to be legit for keys and retail versions. But it's out of stock.

http://ziip.co.uk

In regards VPN activation, I am unsure as to whether one key is different from another. I activated Battlefield 3 on the night of release by VPN making Origin think I was in a different country. I have had no issues with my account or game from doing this.

But I am unsure if Steam works differently.

3. TheBlackSunshine

I found an American site on another forum, which people have used and said they work fine. I think I trust these guys and are willing to go with them. You're right though, I wouldn't go with a site I had not been recommended as a lot of them do try to rip you off. This is the site:

http://cdkeyshere.com/

I also did this with my copy of BF3 to play early and nothing happened, but of course I had already paid full price through Origin and just wanted early access so that was a little different. The only thing I am concerned about is buying a key from another region, I am not sure if that affects things.

Thanks for your advice anyway!

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

it's all down to whether the key you are buying is region locked.

I know that you can trick things but they don't always work that way. Most modern world wide releases are not locked by language or location just differ in activation due to release dates being different.

5. TheBlackSunshine

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to btw the bullet and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes :)

6. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Do you have games that you value in your Steam account?

If so, you may wish to reconsider - if that key turns out to be counterfeit, or Valve decide that you've breached their Terms and Conditions in some way by using it, then they may decide to suspend your account.

7. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i'd go with g2play.net. they are my premiere choice for new releases at a low price. They may seem shifty but all they ask for is a form of ID ( i gave pic of driver's license) and everything is cool.

The give you the key that will work on steam (if a steamworks game) or origin (if an origin release/recent EA game) so there really is no risk of losing anything.

8. TheBlackSunshine

Hey guys,

Well I bought it the other day from cdkeyshere.com and it works perfectly! Got about 4 hours on the game and still no ban from Steam so all is well ;)

At first, using a Russian VPN as detailed on their website didn't work and Steam still locked me out from activating the key, so I was getting kinda worried. But then I tried a different method, "solution 1" as detailed on their website and it worked fine!

I can officially vouch for cdkeyshere.com and CD keys in general. £14.23 vs £39.99 on Steam is quite the saving.

9. [ZiiP] DarkJester

[ZiiP] DarkJester What's a Dremel?

As ZiiP has kindly been mentioned in this thread :rock: I would like to add something..

ZiiP does not supply games that require a VPN to activate. Nor do we supply games that require a language pack download to convert to English.

This is on the principle that such blocks are put in place by the publishers because they don't want their games working between different financial regions - Locks don't happen by accident.

Whilst games from the RU have been available in the market for quite some time now, publishers are getting wise to it and starting to act. More and more Steam games are becoming locked as standard and it won't be long before they start clamping down on the VPN side of things too - with some they already have.

From my experience of being a retailer in this market a couple of years now, the biggest problem isn't sites trying to scam you - it's the legitimacy of the stock that they are holding that is the problem - This is because they are always too focused on price and will buy the cheapest stock they can get their hands on without thinking of its source.

I know of more than 1 CD Key seller who got duped into buying a huge batch of Guild Wars 2 keys that turned out to have been purchased using stolen creditcards. When NCSoft found out, they banned every single key.

Our stock, in retrospect, was purchased through Koch Media directly. More expensive I grant you.. But our customers currently don't have banned accounts.

Anyhow - That's one risk.. Rare that it happens - but it has happened more than once in the past.

Additionally, there is the aspect of languages being locked and/or missing from titles - namely with EA/Origin games. It first occurred with Battlefield 3 RU for which some CD Key sellers made a language fix to get around it. This worked - but the funny thing is, every time some DLC or a game patch comes out, a new language patch had to be made. It's funny how the CD Key seller that were so enthusiastic at making language patches at the release of a game (when they were making a lot of money) but are now less enthusiastic to keep making re-patches as the game gets older. I see a lot of people say "I wish I'd never bought the RU version now" for this very reason.

Which leads me to cases of people trying to buy SimCity.. That shows imho, EA's intent with the market. They are trying to lockdown regional versions of their games through languages. Many CD Key sellers got into all sorts of **** with that one.. ZiiP didn't. We had a UK and WW official supplier and honoured all pre-orders before release :lol:

Finally, I'd just like to point out that ZiiP uses a mainstream merchant card handler (Worldpay) - We accept 3D secure authenticated Visa and Mastercard transactions, so we don't have to make any requests for additional ID etc to be scanned to us.

Remember that companies in other countries that do ask for additional ID don't have to conform to the UK Data Protection Act so you have no idea what they do with that information or whether it is stored securely or safely - and in the long run, who has access to it.

There is more to making a purchase than just price of the item you are buying.

Thanks for reading.. :)

Jester

Last edited: 26 Mar 2013
  10. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Bumping a year old thread to advertise your site, that's nice of you.

11. [ZiiP] DarkJester

[ZiiP] DarkJester What's a Dremel?

Many apologises Joe - I completely mis-read the date on that... read it as Mar 2013 and not Mar 2012 lol

The reason for replying to this thread was that my system showed that someone had used the link from it this morning - so I presumed it was current.. However, just because a thread isn't at the top of a forum section doesn't make it any less relevant. Google still indexes it. If reviving and replying to an old thread is such a sin the admins should purge the database of posts every 2 weeks.

Spam/Bumping wasn't my objective - It was just to inform. I don't need cheap marketing tactics, but thank you for presuming that I would do.

Moderators/Admins can delete if they feel it's required - Doesn't bother me at all. My points raised are valid however.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2013
    [ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

edit - was a thread revive!

Think we all know how to use proxy's with Origin/Steam at this point...not that any of us do of course.